Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Who Has Your Reigns?

Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.

Who has your reigns?  Who has the control of your life?  If one of the definitions of meekness is “power under control”, then who has the control of your life? Or – Who has your reigns? We might be tempted to say “how you answer that question will determine whether you are meek or not”.  But, really, how we live out the answer to that question will determine whether we are meek or not.

We have been misled to believe that the shy ones are meek; that the non-assertive ones are meek.  But, again, such is not necessarily the case.  Often shyness is a result of refusing to yield to God’s pull on our reigns. 

Consider Galatians 5:16-17   I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. [17] For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

 If we are yielding to God’s pull on our reigns, we will be walking in the Spirit.  If we are walking in the Spirit, we will not be yielding to the pull of our flesh.  Now, the challenge for today is this:  When God prompts you to do something, or say something, that might be embarrassing, that might cause people to look at you, that might be rejected or ill-received, who’s got your reigns?

I find that the Holy Spirit rarely pulls up tightly on my reigns, for then I would not have freedom of choice.  Rather, He gently nudges and it’s up to me whether I respond to those nudges or not.  You and I are all too familiar with the feeling we get when we deny those nudges. .    Look at the last phrase of Galatians 5:17, the result of yielding to the flesh: you do not do the things that you wish. Are you tired of choosing safety above the work of the Holy Spirit? 

Blessed are the meek.  When, in meekness, we give the reigns of our life to God, He becomes our guide. We can either obey the nudges, or deny them and do nothing – and get that awful feeling inside that we chose the way of the coward.  Blessed and led OR sorry and “safe”.  Which will it be?

Yielding to God's nudges is a glorious,liberating way to live!


By the way - I am absolutely loving the comments you are posting.  Keep up the blessings!

6 comments:

  1. I listened to a Focus on the Family not to long ago. They were talking about staying connected in this fast paced world of electronics. They encouraged us to pick one tool. (like by phone, email, text message or some other means.) Writing and reading in this blog has been my highlight for this Christmas season. I have felt so connected and I so look forward to what will be posted for the day. It is like my best Advent ever. I can’t thank you enough, Cathy, for doing this. I can’t thank God enough for all of you sharing your heart’s messages. love sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read this blog this morning, my heart says, AMEN! Yes! So be it! Lord, do this in my life, let me please, honor and glorify You today and everyday. Let me be pliable and listening so that I hear Your gentle nudges and yield to You.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Work your will in my life, Lord!!!! Have your way as I yield myself to you. All glory and honor and praise to You!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have NEVER regretted being obedient to a nudge from the Holy Spirit. Even if the response from man was hurtful, the blessing from God was by far greater. I have, on the other hand, regretted not obeying those nudges and experienced the hollow sick feeling that accompanies a wasted opportunity to fulfill my purpose- to glorify God. The more habitually I walk in the Spirit, the greater my soul experiences the contrast. When I let up rather than press on, the disobedience doesn't cause such an ache and the blessings don't penetrate as deeply either. It all becomes mediocre - how sad when God has wonderful things for me! I have come to love that contrast. It motivates me to pursue His way.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Galations 5:16-17 have been a life changing verses! The complete freedom I experience walking in the Spirit is inspiring. Just yesterday He nudged me to believe something in complete contrast to what I wanted/wished. I rejoice in the recognition of my reigns being in His hands. Praise you Father, praise you Son, praise you Holy Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Better to give God the reigns and allow Him to work in my life, than live in "leanness of soul" by not listening to and obeying the Holy Spirit!

    ReplyDelete