Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Delighting in the Abundance of Peace

Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek
for they shall inherit the earth


Let’s consider what Psalm 37 teaches us about meekness. Look at Psalm 37:11.  But the meek shall inherit the earth, and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

First of all, we can see that, unlike a lot of what Jesus taught in the Sermon on the Mount, this is not new news.  The meek shall inherit the earth.  Hearing Him make that statement, should have triggered their minds back to this psalm – to the additional promise of abundance of peace and a further explanation of what this meekness is.  Notice also, that verse 9 tells us something else about those who inherit the earth – those who wait on the Lord.  It appears that this Psalm is linking the two – the meek are those who wait on the Lord.

Let’s just look at verses 5 and 7 of this psalm and see what these people are like:
1.  (5, verse 3 says it too) Psalm 37:5 Commit your way to the Lord. Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass. They trust in God. The meek begin by trusting God.  They believe that He will work for them and vindicate them when others oppose them.  Biblical meekness is rooted in a confidence that God is for you and not against you and He will take care of you and be your defender.

2.  Again, from verse 5 – They commit their way to God.  The Hebrew word for commit means literally “to roll”.  The meek have discovered that God is trustworthy, and so they roll their way (the things of their lives) onto the Lord.  I love just picturing that.  We tend to picture God as being up – rightfully so – He’s in heaven.  So, when I first thought of rolling something onto God, I thought of rolling it uphill.  Isn’t that so like us?  We think that committing something or someone to the Lord is like pushing this burden up a hill and all too often we lose strength and it rolls right back on us.  How much better, to picture, pushing our burdens over a cliff to the Lord.

3.  Psalm 37:7 Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him;   Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,  Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass.
They rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him.  Resting here is stand still.  They don’t give the Lord advice, they don’t move out ahead of Him; they don’t react.  Moses stood still and let God deal with his challenging siblings.  Not that they are lazy, but the meek have a steady quietness about their lives in the midst of upheaval.

4.  Still in verse 7 They don’t fret over the wicked.  And notice this about the wicked – who prospers in his way.  The meek don’t fret – even when it looks like the wicked are prospering, doing well, and not paying for what they have done or even are continuing to do.

From Psalm 37, we can see that the meek begin by trusting God, which leads to committing their way to God.  Or – we can see that it begins with committing our way and that leads to trusting Him – trusting Him more, as we discover His faithfulness.  The meek commit their way to the Lord believing, trusting He will use his power and mercy to do good for us.  Then they wait patiently and quietly for the outcome, not giving way to anger or fretfulness when the outcome they desire is not happening.

As you scan Psalm 37, share about a verse that speaks to you or ministers to you.  There are many!

12 comments:

  1. Psalm 37: 23-24
    "The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD,
    And He delights in his way.
    Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down;
    For the LORD upholds him with His hand."

    As I am learning of meekness and desiring to have it in me, I am finding it to be a process, a work in progress that the Lord is doing. It is not done in an instant. I am especially encouraged by Psalm 37:24 "Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the Lord upholds him with His hand." Though I stumble and fall along the way, He's got me in His hand and will set me right again so that I may continue on this journey of meekness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The LORD loves justice, and does not forsake His saints; they are preserved forever." Psalm 37:28
    Such faithfulness; what love He bestows...such security for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verse 23-24: The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD, And He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand
    I find great comfort in those words. First that when I let God have control (He is ordering the steps) then the LORD delights in my way - it makes Holy God smile! Wow! What a motivator! Secondly, that though I will take hard hits in life, I will not be utterly cast down. He upholds me with His hand...upholds- present tense- always upholding...never letting go. Again, an awesome motivator to let Him order my steps.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psalms 37:9 NAS b But those who wait for the LORD, they will inherit the land.

    Inherit the land. I always view this as prospering in some visible way or what we get after we die. But, this morning I got that the “land” is the soil of my soul. In a way, I inherit my soul when I wait for the Lord. My soul becomes full of Him. If I am waiting and trusting in Him I am being obedient to Him. Our models Jesus and Moses were both in the state of obedience, when they were called meek.

    Psalms 37:17-19 The Lord knows the days of the blameless, And their inheritance will be forever. They will not be ashamed in the time of evil, And in the days of famine they will have abundance.

    Again, the Psalmist speaks of our inheritance. He says we will not be ashamed in the time of evil and famine. We live in such times. The economic situation of this nation is so lost. In these times the souls of people are torn, shot at, and sometimes driven by the enemies. But according to the above verses our inheritance (the land, the soil of our soul) is not shameful. It is actually lives in abundance. The Lord is telling us that the soil of our heart (the land) will delight themselves in abundant prosperity. The more I fill up on Him the more often I am able to be in that place of prosperity. As my soul is prosperous, I am more apt to be obedient….. sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Without God there is no "PEACE"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Psalm 37:5-6
    I am so encouraged to remember to commit myself to God. He alone knows the end from the beginning, and promises to keep me in the palm of His hand. He promises me a future and a hope. My reputation is of no value in here: it is HIS I am to be concerned about. When I am focused on knowing God and enjoying Him forever, I can take anything this world can throw at me. My defenses don't have to be up, I can rest in His care of and for me.
    The meek rest when they are committed to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waiting seems to be my word for this year. I've learned so much, but one of the most important things I've learned is I'm not so much waiting on God, as He is waiting on me! Figures, doesn't it? I'm the weak link, should have known! He is also waiting for His perfect timing, on everything to be just the way He wants it. So, I wait as He waits on me.

    There's also Victory in waiting. That was a new one for me, but it makes sense and Cathy hit on it. While waiting, we're learning to trust Him more, to wait patiently, to commit our way on Him, and not to fret or worry!

    There's also rest in waiting. Rest? Think about it, there's nothing you're supposed to be doing while waiting. Of course, praying and praising, but you're not supposed to be working/doing. You're certainly not supposed to be running around spinning your wheels or worrying and fretting. You're supposed to keep on doing what you know to do, and leave the rest alone.

    God gives us rest and victory in the midst of trying times. Isn't He a wonderful God?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my life verses is Ps 37:7 Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him. This verse speaks volumes to me. 'Rest', waht better place to rest then in the Lord, not with the Lord but IN the Lord. 'Wait' patiently, well we all know that seems almost impossible at times, but who else would you/I rather wait for. God's perfect timing in everything. Each day if I just remind myself REST in the Lord & WAIT patiently for the Lord it will be a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Resting and waiting...I trust Him so. As I steadfastly commit my way(s) to Him, He will guide me.

    side note: As I was cleaning this afternoon the Lord impressed on my heart to post my gratitude for you Cathy, our teacher, and all you ladies I have the privledge of traveling with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "...the righteous shows mercy and gives" vs.21 I am "...blessed by Him..."! vs. 22 and He upholds me with His hand vs. 24

    Brokenness, humility/meekness are prevalent themes in my life lately. He constantly reminds me and calls me to not just 'know' about meekness, but to BE MEEK! This world encourages self assertiveness and demands its rights which is the opossite of meekness. Being meek requires a total reliance on Him and not on my own strength and resources. Having a gentle/meek and quiet spirit is very precious in the sight of God (1Peter 3:4)
    Lord, give me a meek heart like yours...

    I thank God for putting this blog in Cathy's heart and for all of you who take the time to read it and post comments. My cup runs over! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMEN to Clyrinda and Ana! This blog is a blessing and an encouragement. Cathy - thanks for your obedience and faithfulness <3

    ReplyDelete