Friday, December 10, 2010

Righteousness - A Devotion to the Sinless One

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst 
after righteousness, 
for they shall be filled. Matthew 5:6

Here’s a good description of those who do not hunger and thirst after righteousness:
Jeremiah 2:13 "For My people have committed two evils: They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters,    And hewn themselves cisterns--broken cisterns that can hold no water.

Remember what Jesus cried out in John 7:37 On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.
Verse 39 tells us He was speaking of the work of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer.
So, the opposite of hungering and thirsting after righteousness is not looking to God for what we need and looking to other sources – which can’t hold water – which leak.  Our souls were made to hold the Holy Spirit, not anything else.

Remember my secular dictionary’s definition of righteousness? – a devotion to a sinless life.  As I said, that’s a good Pharisee definition.  But, that’s not good enough – Jesus said so in Matthew 5:20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
Then Jesus goes on after that statement to give us examples of God’s expectation of righteousness, that includes not just our actions but our thought life. Seems like any sane person would declare after that – why try?  Who then can be righteous?  The disciples asked that question once – Who then can be saved?  Jesus’ answer?  With man it is impossible, but with God all things are possible. So, somehow, righteousness is possible even though this perfection that Jesus teaches, that could be construed as righteousness, is not.

Can’t do it.  Can’t be it – but we are to hunger and thirst for it. 

Righteousness is the recognition and acceptance of God's claim upon man. God’s claim is that He is holy and has the right to demand adherence to His standards.  Now, those who do not believe, look to themselves, to their own righteousness to meet God’s standards.  Those who believe, look to Jesus to meet those standards for them.  The result of that is the placing of the Holy Spirit in our lives, to work in us and through us that righteousness that only He can do. We (you and I) control how much of that righteousness we have.  As the saying goes, you have just as much of God as you want to have.  He has not chosen to take that control; He has chosen to give that control to us.

Here, in this one verse in Matthew 5, we have a guarantee of satisfaction.  A guarantee.  If you want to be soul satisfied.  Not soul thirsty?  I’ve got an answer for you – expose yourself to the things that feed the soul rather than the things that feed the flesh.  Sometimes we can be so busy and tied up in the business of a day, in the demands of the flesh, that our souls become so starved we don’t even recognize our soul hunger anymore.  That’s what happens when someone fasts – starves their body to the point that they no longer hunger.

Feed your soul again and you will have that hunger – and somehow hungering after righteousness, God’s work in and through your life, makes you more hungry, but the hungrier you get, the more filled you are.  I can’t explain that one – But, God has proved it to be true. 

Righteousness is not devotion to a sinless life; it is devotion to the sinless One – Jesus.

6 comments:

  1. What a great reminder of what we are to be about! I confess that my whole week has been wrapped up in being busy and in charge of me. This life of mine belongs to my Jesus and I can't do it without Him. Feed my soul and refresh me my sweet Redeemer. ~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last line the blog "Righteousness is not devotion to a sinless life, it's devotion to the sinless One- Jesus" really makes the concept of righteousness clear for me. I am devoted to the sinless One. But it's the depth of my daily, moment by moment devotion to Him that determines His work in and through me. I am challenged to want and expect more. Just this morning when I sat to have my quiet time, I didn't have my journal. I felt that nudge from the Holy Spirit, "why no journal? Do you expect so little? Nothing worth recording?"
    I was convicted. I should have sat down hungry and expectant. So I got out my journal. I had my quiet time and the One who never disappoints met me there. Needless to say, I was blessed.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we're not hungering and thirsting for God, for righteousness, God asks? "Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And let your soul delight itself in abundance." Is 55:2
    We are so funny. We know this and yet we have to be reminded. God is so gracious to keep reminding us through His Word, through those gentle nudgings like Amy said, and through our faithful witnesses like Cathy & Dale.
    God You are so gracious and merciful and worthy and holy and just and true and righteous and there is none like You! All glory and honor and praise to You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What perfect timing for this message - this season of busyness instead of worship. The season of doing instead of being. Help this child of yours to stay hungry and thirsty, and recognize that the only thing that satisfies is YOU.

    Come, Holy Spirit, fill me up to the fullest so that the things I do are about YOU, for YOU, and because of YOU. Then the Reason for the Season will be accurate, and the light that still shines will be seen in me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i need this hunger every minute. God is faithful but I so easily am not. My hunger of the flesh so many times wins out over what the spirit needs. Busy times this month. But really isn't it all about Jesus. :0) Lord I pray each of us do not lose the real 'Reason for the Season'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our part is to ask for more and more of Him, to be filled to overflow (2 Cor 4:7). His part is to fill us and keep us satisfied in Him!
    God is also using this blog and the comments to feed my soul and keep me hungering for more of Him!
    Lord, help us not to settle for morsels or snacks but may we come to the Table and feast with You!

    ReplyDelete