Monday, December 6, 2010

Two Examples of Meekness

Matthew 5:5  Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.

   
We have two men in the Bible that were specifically referred to as meek – Moses and Jesus.  We can look at the lives they led and the examples they set. But for the purposes of our study,  I want to look at the circumstances that seemed to have provoked the description of meekness.  In Deuteronomy 12:3 we are told this about Moses:  Now the man Moses was very humble (Hebrew word translated also as meek), more than all men who were on the face of the earth.

When did God call Moses humble?  What would be your guess?  I know what mine would have been.  It would have been when God called him from the burning bush and Moses made all those excuses about why he wasn’t good enough for God to use him.  But, that wasn’t when Moses was described as meek.  It was when his sister, Miriam, and his brother, Aaron, challenged his leadership.  Verse 2 tells us they said “Has the LORD spoken only through Moses?  Has He not spoken through us also? What did Moses do?  Did He strike them with His rod?  Did He verbally put them in their place?  How did Moses defend himself?  You know what Moses did?  Nothing.  Moses did nothing.  We are told that God heard what they said and God responded to what He heard.  He brought leprosy upon Miriam.  When Aaron pleaded to Moses to do something for his sister, Aaron changed his attitude and called Moses ‘my lord’.  Moses sought the Lord on Miriam’s behalf to heal her.  So, this is Moses’ example of meekness. He had the authority to put Miriam and Aaron in their place – but, instead, Moses submitted to God’s power and authority .  Then, rather than seeking retribution, he sought healing for his sister.

Now, let’s look at Jesus.  Matthew 21:5 "Tell the daughter of Zion, 'Behold, your King is coming to you,   Lowly (same New Testament word translated as meek in the beatitudes), and sitting on a donkey,  a colt, the foal of a donkey.' "

This is probably the best example of meekness.  Here we have Jesus, knowing He is king, knowing all of His power and even popularity, but not asserting it.  Jesus submitted to the Father’s will for Him and even rode into the city of Jerusalem on a donkey - the king exhibiting not honor, but lowliness.  A meek person knows who they are and are therefore not threatened by what others say of them, think of them, or do to them.  They choose not to retaliate, and not to stuff it (just take it), but take it to the one who will take care of it all – and take care of it all perfectly.  Meekness trusts God.

What have you learned about meekness from the examples set by Moses and Jesus? Two men, not afraid to take charge, two men, not afraid to take authority.  Yet, one was referred to as the meekest man on earth; the other as meek and lowly.Take a moment and ask the Lord to work in you this same meekness that Moses and Jesus exemplified.

5 comments:

  1. I have learned that meekness trusts God. Also that a meek person is not threatened by what others say of them, think of them or do to them. Why? because they take it to the One who will take care of it all. The Lord who is watching everything we say, think and do. For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD and he ponders all his paths. (Prov. 5:21 NKJV)

    Psalm 46:1 (KJV) ” God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble “

    "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths" (Proverbs 3:5,6).

    "It is better to trust in the Lord Than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in the Lord Than to put confidence in princes" (Psalm 118:8,9).

    Proverbs 15:3 The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.

    The Lord has put these verses on my heart for a reason. As I read them I felt a feeling of awe and also excitement to know that God knows everything and he sees the evil and the good. Nothing can scape from God's view. He has everything under control. My part is to trust Him and know that He is my defender, my refuge, and my redeemer. Thank you Lord for everything you do!!! You are an awesome God!!!! Mighty and yet Meek!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon said:
    The word “whatever” came to mind as I was reading this morning. Recently someone close to me said they wish I would not say that to them. I realize that by saying “whatever” I was really saying, I can take or I can stuff it. I took no time to look for an opportunity for the Lord to teach me or give a Word for someone else. Our interactions with other people are not by accident. If we really believe that God is in ALL things than we have to look for Him there, as well. I know He doesn’t want us to become some personality we are not but I believe He wants to at least take those moments of frustration or trial and say to Him, “What ever is this for Lord?”
    God is so good at completing the business He has for us and when give those things to Him to be used by Him and He gives me a list of “whatevers” to set my mind on.
    Philippians 4: 8-9 (NIV)
    8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, the first 2 comments are awesome. Just what I needed this morning. Jesus our perfect example of meekness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I think about the example Moses and Jesus are regarding the quality of meekness I am struck with the awareness neither were motivated by fear! "The fear of man brings a snare. But whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe." Proverbs 29:25 With God I can hold my hands open before Him and trust He will add and take away according to His perfect will. I don't have to defend myself or in fear withdraw and hold bitterness in my heart. I can do what God asks with my hands lifted to the heavens in praise; trusting His protection, guidance and faithfullness. Clyrinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meekness...I am drawn to "Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet..." (John 13:3-6) Jesus always did the will of His Father without reserve. My response? Jeremiah 18:3-6...to be like that clay, pliable in the Potter's hand; in my Father's hands. My prayer / my song: "Have Thine own way, Lord, have Thine own way. You are the Potter, I am the clay. Mold me and make me, after Thy will; While I am waiting, yielded and still."

    ReplyDelete