Saturday, December 4, 2010

Who Controls You?

Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek,
 for they shall inherit the earth.

As we continue our study of the beatitudes – keep in mind what the Westminster confession states is our purpose for living – to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.  Since our behavior is to glorify God, we must factor that in as we seek to define these beatitudes.  If meekness is what some people are like just because they were beaten down as children or because their parents didn’t raise their voices or because they have some particular metabolism or personality, or they are afraid of people, God doesn’t get the glory for any of that, does He?  So, that can’t be meekness. 

I love to look at secular definitions of Biblical terms.  Here’s how a secular dictionary defines meek:  humbly patient or docile, as under provocation from others; overly submissive or compliant; spiritless; tame.  This is what was written about the antonym for the word meek.  Meek means shy or that you don’t stand out.  So, the opposite would probably be out-going, boisterous.  One of the meanings of boisterous is unrestrained – now that would probably be a good definition of the opposite of Biblical meekness.

There’s one more thing I like to do with a secular dictionary.  Many of them show obsolete definitions – definitions that no longer apply.  The “obsolete” definitions tend to be closest to the Biblical definitions.  My dictionary gave these obsolete definitions for the word meek.:. gentle; kind. That definition of meek is considered to be obsolete.

 Since my dictionary used the word docile to describe meekness, I looked that up.  It means:  easily managed or handled, readily trained or taught, teachable.  We are getting closer.

Here’s what my Bible dictionary says about meekness:  putting yourself after others in importance.  A person who is not proud or haughty or self-assertive.  Meekness is power under control. Yielding to the power of someone else.  Right there we can see the difference between worldly meekness and Biblical meekness.  It’s all in who you give the control to.

Consider your life.  We either yield control to someone else, or do what we feel is necessary to keep it for ourselves.  What is your tendency?  Do you give up for the sake of fear, or dread of confrontation or simply to keep someone else happy?  Do you dig your heals in the ground and fight to maintain control yourself?  


Do your reactions reflect your desire to please others or please yourself?  Neither is what God calls us to.  God calls us to please Him; to yield the control to Him.  He has it anyway.  Wisdom is walking in that truth.

What have you learned about Biblical meekness?

5 comments:

  1. "You're not the boss of me!!!!" -was probably my most common declaration growing up. I learned to use humor to cut and keep people in their place- below me. I became highly successful in the world. I always won- by the world's standard of winning. Then I returned to my First Love and saw the ugliness for what it was. He began to change me- to the degree that I allowed it. Then in the content of another message Cathy talked about meekness- power under control,God's control. I understood that day that I could never glorify God unless I let Him be "the boss of me". I can testify that I no longer have the desire or ability to use my words or wit in such a way any more. I have no need for position or power. I am liberated from that bondage. He changed me because I DESPERATELY needed, wanted, and allowed Him to. But this I have learned about meekness...if I get lax and stop abiding in Christ, my flesh is on the ready to take over again. The change in me endures so long as I run with endurance under His control.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to realize more when I'm not meek. When I'm walking through my day thinking about my agenda, my needs, my wants, and there's all these people -- especially this time of year, where did all these people come from and how is it that none of them know how to drive or follow directions. But when my heart is abiding in Christ, when I'm filled with Him, allowing Him free reign, letting Him be in control, then I'm not in such a hurry and bustle, but can look around and see their faces and maybe some needs. Then God can use me to offer to help or an encouraging word or just a sincere smile, especially to the cashiers, and the most important thing to pray for those around me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was "shy" as a kid - didn't speak out, always obedient to authority, stove to please. NONE of this, it turns out, is meekness. As I come to know Christ, I see what I am by nature more and more. Protective of self, defensive, bristly, not wanting others to have control over me.
    BUT GOD
    is showing me more and more the joy of submitting myself to the control of the Holy Spirit. The delight of putting others first, of serving. I don't have to declare my rights...I get to enjoy them as the daughter of the King.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon said:

    I never thought much about meekness till either Cathy or Dale mentioned it in their teaching and referenced a bridled stallion. Shortly after that I was with my friend who owns a horse and I was watching her control that huge animal. I realized that at any minute the horse could reject her guidance and plow her to the ground. I thought about the power that God gives us. He allows us to choose to be bridled or not and then He goes even further, when we bridled, He gives us a choice to relinquish the control to Him or not.

    This time of the year it is easy to take the control because, out of habit, I go into the mode of doing good. So, instead of seeking where God would have me do good, I can get wrapped in what I think I should be doing. Then I use up a lot of time and energy doing my “self” things. My energy and my joy is lost and as I review the season I see the glory, He so deserves, gets lost. Plus, I do not feel that “enjoy” He has for me.

    I am happy to blog here because it reigns me in daily. I think I need to take the suggestion that Cathy mentioned, in the study, about putting the quote, “Who has my reigns today?” on my icebox door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post reminded me of Wed. night's communion. Tim sang "What Child is this?" One of the lines is
    "Why lies He in such mean estate
    Where ox and ass are feeding?
    Good Christian, fear: for sinners here
    The silent Word is pleading.
    Nails, spear shall pierce him through,
    The Cross be borne for me, for you;
    Hail, hail the Word Made Flesh...."
    Jesus, who has all of the power and glory, by whom all things were made, humbled himself to become a baby born in a nasty stable in a cave. And then to be taken care of by fallen humans, mocked by friends, and delivered to be crucified by the ones He came to serve. I can't think of a better example of "power under control"
    I can say that I follow more into the category "digging my heals in the ground and fighting to maintain control myself," but the more I learn about Jesus, the more I see that He gave ALL. He was fully surrendered to the Father's will. He never fought for his own rights. He willfully gave them up.
    What an amazing God we serve!

    ReplyDelete