Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Good Mourning!

Matthew 5:4  Blessed are those who mourn,
  for they shall be comforted.

We will spend the next few days looking at the second beatitude.  This beatitude is linked to the first. We cannot mourn, as Jesus speaks of here, unless we first are poor in spirit.  It is realizing God’s holiness and our lack of it that brings us to that place where we mourn over our sin. 

First – what mourning is not.  It’s not  the definition of mourning that we are most familiar with. Weeping, mourning, and grieving is a part of life.  Everybody, saved and unsaved has experienced it.  Sometimes we mourn over something that has happened to someone else or we mourn over the condition and sins of our nation.  Not much comfort in that, except to know God’s got it all and He knows what He is doing and allowing.

Sometimes we mourn because we can’t have something that we think we should have.  Again, not much comfort in that. In fact, the more we mourn over what we don’t have, the worse we feel.  The mourning that Jesus speaks of here is none of these things.

So, what is it?  What is the mourning that leads to being comforted?  Paul described it.  Let’s look at it.  2 Cor. 7:9-10   Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. [10] For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.

Sorrow, that is godly sorrow, produces repentance.  The repentant heart receives God’s comfort.

It is not those who minimize their sin; it is not those who justify their sin; it is not those who ignore or deny their sin; or put off dealing with their sin, that mourn over their sin.  Therefore, we miss out on God’s blessing, God’s working in our lives, and God’s comfort when we minimize, justify, ignore, deny or put off dealing with our sin. 

What is your tendency?  We all have one.  Do you justify your sin?  Do you ignore it or deny it?  Do you put off dealing with your sin?  Maybe you quickly take the blame to avoid conflict, but you fail to confess your sin before the Lord.  If you asked those closest to you, what would they say?  What do you think you have avoided by not mourning over your sin?

Will you take a moment and bless those who are reading this blog by writing a comment and sharing the blessings you have experienced when you truly mourned over your sin? Let’s encourage one another.  

Love in Jesus,
cathy

10 comments:

  1. I found it's better to run to God than from Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that when I mourn over my sin, confess it and look to God for the help to change, that I immediately have joy where there formally was none. I have peace that I had lacked. I truly feel (and am) so much better off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freedom!!! Blessed freedom... cries of sorrow turn into songs of joy... He is the lifter of my head! No better joy than to know my sins are forgiven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I mourn over my sins God is so faithful to give me a peace and joy and the encouragement to flee from sin. Sin so easily can entangle you that attimes there is nothing you can do but cry out (mourn) to God for forgiveness. We are blessed we serve and love a gracious and forgiving God.
    Love the title too. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments. Please keep 'em coming!
    Fill in the blank: I found ________
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I recognize my sin, mourn over it and repent I find My heavenly Father waiting with arms wide open. He is quick to show me real, lasting change is possible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found freedom and joy when I agree with God concerning my sin. I am no longer walking off the path that God has intended for me, but led by Him in the path of righteousness for His name sake. wow! I am led, God is glorified,and others get to see God work in the lives of His children! God is so good! Thank you God for your love and forgiveness!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been a person who denies my sin and gets in big trouble for it, and then the Holy Spirit comes to me and says "let's deal with this". "What"? I say, He says "that ugly thing that's making you so unhappy, it's called sin". I realize in an instant that I have sinned against my Holy God. Weeping may endure for a night but joy comes in the morning. Thou hast turned my mourning into dancing for me, thou hast put off my sackcloth,and girded me with gladness, to the end my glory may sing praise unto Thee and not be silent oh Lord my God I will give thanks unto thee forever. Create in me a clean heart, oh God and renew a right spirit within me. The blood of Jesus gives me a clean conscience, true peace and liberty from slavery to sin<3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found a depth of forgiveness I would not have known had I not slowed down enough to really consider the sin and it's effect on my Lord and the people around me. Sin seldom stops is effects with just me.

    ReplyDelete