Thursday, December 2, 2010

His is the Power and the Glory

Today we are going to fast forward through the Sermon on the Mount, to the last phrase of the Lord’s Prayer  - For Yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever.  Yesterday, I was writing the homework for Matthew 6:13, the last verse of the Lord’s Prayer.  As I was looking up verses that described God’s power and glory, I was overwhelmed with a sense of awe of Him and a need to give praise to Him.  I finished the homework around 5:00, grabbed some dinner, changed my clothes and headed to church for our communion and afterglow service. 

As I typically do during the afterglow, I shoot up an arrow prayer to the Lord, telling Him I’m available for whatever He wants to do in me and through me.  Sometimes I think I do that more for me than Him.  It places me in an accountability to obey any words He might have for me.  Last night, I also told the Lord that I was so overwhelmed by the wonder of Him that I really just wanted to praise Him for His power and His glory. 

So, I lifted my voice in song, praising Him.  Our worship leader led us in a song that contained the words “I’m overwhelmed by You”.  Perfect.  Absolutely perfect.  When the song was over, I felt like the Lord wanted me to praise Him out loud in tongues.  I love using my prayer language.  But, for the most part, that’s just what it is – mine.  But, last night, I felt like He wanted me to praise Him so others could hear.  So, I did.  At first there was no interpretation.  Then, as Dale prayed for interpretation, he began praising the Lord for two things – His power and His glory.  Dale had no idea what I had been working on all afternoon. But, when He prayed - wow!  I knew.  The Lord had given Dale the interpretation!  I didn’t know what I had said, but I knew my heart was adoring the Lord for His power and His glory. 

Let’s use the comment section today to post verses about our awesome God.  I'll post one to get us started.  Looking forward to reading the verses that the Lord gives you to share.

Love in Jesus,
cathy

8 comments:

  1. Through the LORD's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning. Great is Your faithfulness.
    - Lamentations 3:22,23
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. sharon writes:

    Psalm 65:8 NAS
    They who dwell in the ends of the earth stand in awe of Your signs;
    You make the dawn and the sunset shout for joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ephesians 3:20-21
    Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly more than we can ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be the glory in the church by Jesus Christ to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I will extol (exalt) You, my God, O King; and I will bless Your name forever and ever...Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and His greatness is unsearchable...The LORD is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and great in mercy. The LORD is good to all, and His tender mercies are over all His works...The LORD is righteous in all His ways, gracious in all His works. The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth... Psalm 145:1, 3, 8, 17, 18

    ReplyDelete
  5. With Jesus' help, let us continually offer our sacrifice of praise to God by proclaiming the glory of his name. Hebrews 13:15 NLT
    Clyrinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. O God,"You are more awesome than Your holy places. The God of Israel is He who gives strength and power to His people. Blessed be God Psalm 68:35 NKJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present [you] faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
    To the only wise God our Saviour, [be] glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. Jude 1:24-25

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Lamentations verse: it was the one the Lord gave me last night at Communion. :D

    Revelation 5:12
    Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
    to receive power and riches and wisdom,
    and strength and honor and glory and blessing!

    ReplyDelete