Monday, November 29, 2010

God Lifts the Lowly

What is the result of being poor in spirit?  It’s the kingdom of heaven.  Ephesians. 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ.
We have access to spiritual blessings – grace, peace, joy, wisdom, power, comfort, purpose - connection to the very throne room of God.  The ability to live in a realm far above and far better than the best of what this world calls happiness.

How do we get it?  First, compare yourself to God and stop comparing yourself to others. That’s all it took for Isaiah.  We have the story in Isaiah 6.  Isaiah saw the Lord sitting on the throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple.  And the seraphim stood above Him and one cried to another and said:  Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts.
And Isaiah said – Woe is me. I love this quote from Martin Lloyd Jones ”If one feels anything in the presence of God save an utter poverty of spirit, it ultimately means that you have never faced Him.”
That’s how Peter got it.  He watched Jesus calm the storm.  Peter’s response Luke 5:8 he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!" Peter’s a great example, because Peter’s response shows us that this realization is not just a one-time thing.  How many times did Peter take his eyes off Jesus and look to himself?  We are like Peter.  We need to be looking at the face of God constantly.

Secondly, ask God to show you your pride.  Remember David’s prayer in Psalm 139:23-24 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; [24] And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.
One of the most wicked ways we can have in us is pride.  I found 92 verses in the Bible that address how much God hates pride. James 4:6 "God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble." 

Thirdly, pray.  Pray for mercy.  It’s a reminder that we need it.  The publican prayed Lord be merciful to me a sinner.  Jesus said, this man went home justified.  That’s God’s response to our confession of our need for mercy.
Isaiah 66:2 ...  "But on this one will I look:   On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit,  And who trembles at My word.
Psalm 34:18  The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit.
Isaiah 57:15  For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy,  "I dwell in the high and holy place, With him who has a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble,   And to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

Self-confident?  Do you think you deserve the privileges of the kingdom?  Feeling sorry for yourself?  Feeling like you have rights or you deserve better?  Thinking that life is not fair?
If so, you are missing out on kingdom living.  Go back to step #1 and discover that God’s kingdom is far better than anything you think you have been shorted in this life.   

God’s touch upon your life is best.  Enjoy Him.

Love in Jesus,
cathy

3 comments:

  1. Pride is such a strong thing. To me it seems there are so many diffrent types of pride. To much pride to admit my faults to myself and the Lord. Oh to be open and bare before my Lord. Thank you for todays blog. It's just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heavenly Father,
    We will spend the rest of our lives here on earth and throughout eternity soaking, resting and walking in all the myriads of spiritual blessings that you have for us. This does leave Your beloved child speechless and looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1)I am loving the reminder not to compare myself to others, but to constantly gaze into the loving eyes of my Abba, and see what delight He takes in me. He LOVES me.
    2) A wonderful reminder: there is nothing for me to take pride in for I am nothing without HIM.
    3) It is to my benefit that His mercies are new every morning - I would have run Him dry on day 1 if this were not the case!

    Thank you, Father, for lifting my eyes up to see Holy.

    ReplyDelete