Monday, January 3, 2011

Understanding God's Intentions

We will be spending the next few days looking at Matthew 5:21-48.  I think it would be helpful to read those verses before you read the rest of this blog.

When the Israelites crossed over the Jordan into the promised land, Joshua had them take twelve stones to be used as memorial stones, to remind the people (and the children who would be born after them) of what God had done.  Do you have memorial stones in your life?  Times when God has taken you from one spiritual place to a new level of understanding or devotion?  Studying this portion of the Sermon on the Mount was memorial stone time for me.  I didn’t expect it.  I mean how can six instances of Jesus saying, You have heard, but I say, have that much of an impact on my life?  It began when I was talking to someone about a situation they were in.  She had an opportunity to retaliate ad she did't take it.   She had every right to do so, but as we talked, she was challenged to bless instead of curse.  As we talked about what form that blessing might take, the answer she arrived at was definitely not one of the flesh – it was Spirit.  And I watched her countenance change as she entertained the idea of blessing rather than doing what was within her rights to do.  Then I watched, as the person next to her, was moved also – and she said something like – and for me, in my situation, it would be to… and she shared what would be beyond what anyone would expect of her.  I got to witness the Sermon on the Mount in action.  I want you to keep this is mind as we go through these six examples, this week, that Jesus put before those who would follow Him.

The other thing that got me going was what I realized when I closed the teaching of this lesson.  As we talked in the leaders’ meeting that Wednesday morning, we were discussing one of the questions that asked about Christians who were salt and light to us before we came to the Lord.  As I thought about it, the only person I could think of was my Grandmother.  I had known lots of Christians growing up, I attended church on a regular basis.  But, I really couldn’t think of anyone else who shined Jesus.  I thought about what I did think of Christians that I knew at the time – and if I had to fill in the blank Christians _________, I would have written the word “don’t”.  Christians don’t (or from a child’s perspective – aren’t allowed to) do bad things.  And I thought, no wonder so many people think that’s what getting into heaven is about – not doing bad things. Because, really, isn’t that the message that many Christians give by the way they live? 

Look at the verse that precedes the verses we are studying today.  Matthew 5:20  For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Notice, the first I say unto you is in verse 20, not in verse 22.  Now, look at the last verse of our lesson Matthew 5:48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect. Notice the word therefore in this verse.  Therefore – based on what Jesus just said.

So, sandwiched in between a call to a righteousness that exceeds the Pharisees and a call to be perfect, just as our Father in heaven, are these six clarifications of kingdom living. You might think, so why try. This is just absolutely impossible.  But, that wasn’t Jesus’ intent.  Oh, may we get a hold of His intent for teaching us what He did in this sermon.

This is ground breaking stuff Jesus has been declaring.  You see, Jews would have expected him to say things like “Blessed are those who do not murder” or  “Blessed are those who do not commit adultery”  But, Jesus wasn’t saying that. Yes, He expects His people to continue to abide by those laws.  He made that clear in the previous verses – but now He’s taking those laws and approaching them in an entirely different way than the people had been taught.

As we saw in yesterday’s blog, Jesus came to fulfill the law.  He came to live out God’s intentions.  Why do you think it’s so important to understand that God’s intentions for us are always good before we try to understand Jesus’ teachings in the sermon, especially as He presents what “He says” about the way the religious rulers had interpreted God’s laws?

5 comments:

  1. It just so happened that in my personal devotions this morning I came to Matthew 5. Now I don't believe in "just so happeneds", I don't think there are coincidences only God-incidences. God is definitely speaking to me. So, as I again read through these familiar verses I was struck once again by these very verses Cathy is looking at today. I read about our righteousness exceeding the Pharisees and ending with "Be perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect". I thought and wrote in my journal, I can't, only God can. Only God is righteous, my rignteousness will never be enough, not even close. Perfect, yeah right. Lord, I don't understand this. I don't understand how to do this. But I love You and trust You and know You love me and want the best for me, so You do it in me.
    And you know what, He will and He is and He will continue, because those are the kind of prayers He loves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These six things seem to be either about satisfying myself or protecting myself. When obeying the "letter" of the Law only, my flesh can still get the satisfaction is craves inwardly...yikes! When I live in the truth that ALL God's intentions toward me are good, it is not only doable but desirable to obey the "spirit" of the Law, trusting God to do the protecting on my behalf and for satisfaction to be found in Him alone. The world calls this "risk"...Christians often call it "risking faith"...not so...in Him is Yes and Amen...there is no risk involved in following Jesus. To the degree I live in that truth I am able to accept and obey His laws...or not, but it doesn't alter the truth. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God Jesus is my standard. He sets before me the guidelines, the "law" of kingdom living. I think the Pharisees were focused only on the law...the do's and don't(s) of life. When I am tempted to look around and point my finger in accusation Jesus quickly reminds me, "I am the standard." In addition to Him pointing out actions/behaviors of mine that are displeasing He wants full access to my mind and heart. Do I have a thought that is displeasing to Him? Am I holding onto a perceived wrong with malice in my heart?

    Oh, what joy I find in allowing Him to be my shield, Jehovah Magen! Pointing my finger towards Jesus I see His glory; there in His glory is reflected back and I clearly see He is my exceedingly great reward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if we don't have it settled in our hearts- believe 100%- the truth that His intentions for us are always good, it is very hard to hear, let alone obey instructions like, "love your enemies, do good to those who hate you..." this seems (and is without Him) impossible. But if we settle it before hand, then, our hearts are prepared to hear and say ok, Lord, I choose to obey, do this work in and through me... I can trust in His character and His ability. He is faithful, trustworthy and always good and I so want to be like Him- Like Clyrinda said- Jesus is my standard. He is my righteousness and I am so thankful for Him. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16: 7
    Instead of looking at our outward appearance, God searches the motives of our hearts.
    He is not just interested in saving us but He also wants to transform us so we can become more and more like HIM. Without HIM, we can do nothing, and in HIM, we can do all things.
    When I am faced with a difficult choice, I remember the memorial stones and people He has placed in my life, and I thank Him for this too shall be for His Glory!

    ReplyDelete