Thursday, December 16, 2010

Seeing The Captain's Face

Matthew 5:8  Blessed are the pure in heart
for they shall see God


Although God is the “cleanser” we do have our part. James 4:8  … Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Or “you mixed minded”.  Notice – not, you evil minded, but you mixed-minded.

So, what’s our part in purifying our hearts? I think Ezekiel 18:31 says it well.      Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit…

James takes it a step further.  He speaks of this mix mindedness or mixed- heartedness in the first chapter of his letter.  James 1:5-8  If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. [6] But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. [7] For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; [8] he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Mix-mindedness misses out on what God desires to reveal.

The criteria of being pure in heart is this:  coming to God and allowing Him to do the cleansing that only He can do – and often.  Psalm 119:2 Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, who seek Him with the whole heart!  A pure heart is one that seeks God wholly. 
The result – we will see God.  Now, what does that mean? Let’s look at just two things.

1.  To see God is to be awestruck by His glory – by a direct experience of His holiness.  Seeing God is not about physically seeing Him.  Yes, all who are believers will one day see Him face to face – but, it’s about experiencing Him.  After God spoke to Job in the whirlwind (Job didn’t physically see God), remember what Job said?  Job 42:5   "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear,   But now my eye sees You.

2.  To experience His grace.  And remember a good  definition of grace is the acronym – God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense.  So, what we are saying here is that seeing God is experiencing what Christ died for us to experience - knowing Him, His comfort His peace, His presence, His mercy, His forgiveness….. I could go on and on – maybe some of you could do that by posting a comment J

In Psalm 27 David declared the goodness of the Lord.  And then in verse 8, he wrote:  When You said, seek My face, my heart said to You, Your face Lord will I seek.

Robert Louis Stevenson, in one of his stories, wrote of an interesting incident in which some people were out in a boat, in the midst of a storm.  It was a rather small boat.  And in the midst of the storm they became very fearful about what was happening, and one of them said he would creep up to the deck and take a look and see how things were.  So he crept up to the deck, and he came back not long afterward and said, “It’s alright.  I’ve just seen the captain’s face.”  James tells us that we don’t get the captain’s wisdom if we are double minded.  Really, we don’t experience any of His graces.  But, the pure in heart do – because we want it more than anything else.

5 comments:

  1. When spending time in worship and prayer I experience His glory and see His face. I’m not saying every but I know when my focus is placed on Him unmixed I will see Him. The distractions fall away and there, in that moment, I get a flooding of my soul, a glimpse into His glory and that experience pushes me onto the next experience. As I go through my day I meditate on it, ponder it, and press on to what He has called me to. Like Cheryl said a few days ago, “I hate to leave and go on about my day.” Those moments are worth great treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to laugh. I love to see and hear other people laugh. God has so changed me over the years in what I find funny and how I use the wit He has given me. Yesterday I was sitting with friends and for a few minutes my urge to pursue the laugh overtook my pursuing God's righteousness. It wasn't foul or vicious, but it did cross the line of graciousness that God has called me to. He revealed to me the
    "mix" and my need to pursue an EVER purer heart- not to settle with what seems a satisfactory mixture. So I once again fall upon His mercy and grace to cleanse me, no longer satisfied with a purity of heart compared to who I once WAS, but to who HE is and who He says I am in HIM. Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be the glory...forever and ever. Amen!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The great thing about experiencing God is that we don't forget it. When you have one of those moments - you carry it with you. It isn't like a great meal you enjoy and move on from, or a feeling of love that may dim in a bit. It's constant, and unchanging. It helps you to want to have more deep moments of HIM. It's glory carries you through the hard moments and draws you back to the throne of grace.

    We will live in those moments eternally. We get to have them now, as we practice kingdom-living. More of Him, less of me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like anything that is good we want more and more of it. Thats what I think of when I get those precious moments when I have caught a glimpse of my Lord. I get so I can't wait till I see Him again !!!. Listening, waiting and receiving. Ahhh! It's such good stuff. This is one time I don't mind having an insatiable appetite, and being single focused. Yep, more of Him and less of me!
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Posting from yesterday morning. I am in Virginia, but still reading every day and loving what I read and the way it makes me feel so connected.

    I saw the most beautiful Va. Beach sunrise over the bay this morning. Through tears I saw the Face of God. The Creator of all the universe wants us to personally experience Him, wants us to know He feels what we feel - more. He is the God who sees all, El Roi.

    Pure, unmixed is not doubting and not doubting is faith.

    Love you all and miss home but my grand children fill up my heart. I thank God for the opportunity to be with them.... sharon

    ReplyDelete