Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Blessed Are The Cleansed of Heart

Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.


Blessed are the pure in heart.  What’s you initial response as you read those words?   We’ve read the other beatitudes – difficult, but not impossible with the Lord.  As believers we have all experienced being poor in spirit, mourning over our sin, and meekness.  We have all wanted more of Jesus and so, hungered and thirsted after righteousness.  And we’ve all showed mercy to someone – at least once.  But, this one.  Pure in heart.  I’ve never been that – and I know you haven’t either.  Not even once has my heart been pure.  So, you, like me, might read this one and say, well, that leaves me out – and it does – it eliminates everybody that has ever lived out.     Jeremiah 17:9  "The heart is deceitful above all things,   And desperately wicked;   Above all things my heart, your heart is deceitful and it’s desperately, desperately wicked.  Who can know it?  You can’t.  I can’t.  Our heart all too often surprises us, doesn’t it?  And so we say things like “I can’t believe I said that” or “did that.”

Some of us have tried.  We’ve tried to be pure.  But no matter what we do, no matter how hard we try, we find our hearts to be just as corrupt as when we started.

The  word used to remind us that we can’t know our hearts, is the same Hebrew word that is used in other verses to describe the fact that God knows our hearts.  And yet, we can’t discount this beatitude, because look at the blessing of being pure in heart – they shall see God.  Oh, how I want that – not just in heaven, but in this life – right here and right now.  And if I’ve got to be pure in heart to see God, I want to know how that can happen.  Remember to the unsaved, Jesus is putting forth impossibilities in this sermon. But to the saved, He is putting forth a way of living that is possible and blessed.

Just what does Jesus mean when He speaks of the pure in heart?  Let’s consider the opposite – we might think it to be evil in heart.  But the true opposite of pure is “mixed”.  A good definition of pure is “unmixed”.  Before we came to the Lord, our hearts were just evil – selfish – out for ourselves.  Even when we did something seemingly good, there was a selfish motive behind it.  So, what did God say to us? Isaiah 1:18  "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the Lord, “Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow;…


So, how does this happen?  David overwhelmed with his sin with Bathsheba wrote psalm 51.  What was his cry?  Have mercy on me, O God.  Then what did He tell God?  I’m going to get it together.  I’m going to be good from here on out?  No, David knew better than that.  David knew he couldn’t cleanse his heart and an uncleansed heart is prone to sin. 
So, what was David’s prayer?

v.1 blot out my transgressions
v. 2 wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.
v. 7 purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow
v.10  create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit in me

Wash me, cleanse me.  This word translated as "pure" has often been translated as “clean” in the Bible.  Once it was translated as "clear" – again, unmixed. God is the cleanser of hearts.  I love looking at this beatitude this way : Blessed are the cleansed of heart.

Consider the steps taken in David's prayer.  What do you see?

7 comments:

  1. v 10 create in me a clean heart, O God
    This is something I long for Him to do everyday, without that my life seems so mucky and wait for the renewing of that steadfast spirit Thankful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David recognizes the condition of his sinful heart.
    He desires a complete change of heart.
    He knows and trusts that God is able to cleanse his heart of sin.
    He knows and remembers the beauty of a cleansed heart.
    He desires to have a heart that is continually cleansed.
    He knows that he needs the Holy Spirit to continually empower him to seek afer a cleansed heart.

    David sees the Holiness of God, David also sees his sin. The sin that has caused God to hide His face from David. David longs to be cleased from his sin. He knows of God's Lovingkidness and tender mercie's that has led him to repentance. David has come to the only One that can and will cleanse him from his sin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pure heart -- no way possible outside of Christ. But Jesus came that's what we're celebrating this month. He blotted out our sins. He washed and cleansed and purged our desperately wicked hearts. And then He creates. Ah that's God! Creates (bara) the same word as in Gen 1:1 when He created this world out of nothing. God creates our pure/clean heart out of nothing. Of course, because there is nothing clean in it before God. God does everything, we're just the recipients. Our part praise and thanksgiving. God did all the work. I marvel at David getting that on the other side of the cross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David realized his poverty of Spirit. He couldn't deal with his own sin, he needed the One who could. As Cheryl said: I marvel that he got it on that side of the cross!

    David experienced sorrow over his sin, leading to repentance. Not just a quick "oh, sorry Lord!" hastily whispered as he moved on.

    David mourned over his sin. He really stayed still and let God speak to him about what He saw, and how it affected Him. It caused David to grieve.

    David left himself completely open to God's decision what to do with him. He desired mercy, but he didn't insist upon it. He let God be God.

    David hungered for righteousness. He wanted to be holy, as God is holy. He went to the only place he could receive righteousness, and be counted right: the Lord.

    David trusted God for the outcome. In so doing, he received peace. He didn't struggle to make things right, He trusted God to be true to His nature. He also knew, that in His forgiveness, there is completeness. David didn't have to worry that the Lord would bring it back up again and hold it against him. Forgiven is forgiven, accepted, cleansed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first thing I think of as a pure heart is an honest heart. Well on my own that is not possible. Oh I'm honest for the most part but an honest heart well......
    David cried out for God to blot out, cover his sins, make him white as snow and create a clean/pure heart in him. Isn't that what we need? I know I do everyday. Beleivers are blessed that Jesus has taken our sins and we have forgiveness in Him. We also never have to worry that the Lord will bring our sin back up to us and hold it against us. Like Cyndi said, 'Forgiven is forgiven, accepted, cleansed.' Amen!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thankful that God does the blotting, the washing, the purging and then is able to create a clean heart! My part is to come to Him transparent. Openly acknowledge my sin and allow Him full access and He will renew a steadfast spirit within me. Amen!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do so relate to Peter and the conversation he had with Jesus about washing the disciples' feet. He first would have no part in it and the Lord said, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me." and Peter replied "not my feet only but my my hands and my head!" Then the Lord reminded him WHO has done the cleansing completely!!
    Oh Lord, search me and know my heart; try me and know my anxieties and purify me...Thank you , Lord, for the work You have done and for what You have yet to work in me

    ReplyDelete