Monday, December 13, 2010

Living in the Mercy Cycle

Matthew 5:7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.


Consider another reference to mercy -  Luke 6:36 Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful. In what ways has God been merciful to you?  If your list of God’s mercy is scant, so will be your mercy towards others.  Our beatitude here says that the merciful shall obtain mercy – but that’s put in a way that it would be easy to misunderstand – kind of puts the cart before the horse.  

This phrase obtain mercy is in the same verb tense (future passive) as the phrase will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him in John 14:21.  The entire verse says:    He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him."

What came first?  This verse might make us think that we loved God first.  And, because of our love for Him, God then loved us. So, which came first - our love for God or His love for us?  John gives us the answer 1 John 4:19  We love Him because He first loved us. It’s kind of circular.  God loved us, so we responded by loving Him, who responded to that by manifesting Himself, revealing Himself more to us, by causing us to know more of His love, which makes us love Him more, and on and on it goes.
Romans 5:8  But God demonstrates (proves) His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Now, that’s mercy.  And God started the expression of mercy, we didn’t. 
When we read this beatitude, we must understand that the merciful are only merciful because they have received and appreciate God’s mercy towards them.  It’s then that they pass it on, as the Holy Spirit prompts them.  In doing that, they receive more mercy and a greater appreciation of His mercy – and on and on it goes.

What have you learned about God’s mercy that provokes you to be merciful?

8 comments:

  1. Understanding my great need and reliance on His mercy affects my giving it to others. If we withhold that which has been freely given to us we block the powerful flow that the mercy inherently has. What becomes of these blockages in us? What becomes of those whom we block from receiving God's mercy?

    jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. During a very intense trial in my life I would need to retreat to my room and read outloud Lamentations3:21-26 "This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope. Through the LORD's mercies I am not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. The LORD is my portion says my soul, therefore I hope in Him! The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD." Soaking in these words fortified me to press on- they still do. I also see more clearly now that judgement is a way of "consuming" someone. By His mercies I am not consumed. As Jess said, that needs to be passed on through me to others. By passing on compassion that He has given me I get to serve as an encouragement to hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's Mercy! Oh how I need it daily. In fact, I pray Ps 67:1 everyday!
    "God be merciful unto us, and bless us; [and] cause his face to shine upon us."
    I've found I need God's mercy daily to be able to give it to others. God has forgiven me so much. I need His mercy overflowing in me to extend it to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading this blog, two verses came to mind. "For judgement is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgement."!! James 2:13
    "Let us therefore boldly to the throne that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16
    Selah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God's love, God's mercy I am nothing without them. He sent Jesus to die for me. How much love and mercy God has for me. Everyday I live is by the mercy of God. Each morning I meditate on His great love and mercy and I am then able to show mercy and love to others. Some times I have to remeber the mercy I have received from God in dealing with some situations or people, but Praise God, He's always there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am stirred and challenged by the statement "If your list of God’s mercy is scant, so will be your mercy towards others". This kind of parallels Luke 7:47 "...to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little". The point is, we are all forgiven much, very much. It just seems some realize it more than others. How important it is to slow down and remember God's awesome mercy towards us. When I stop and think about the mercy The Lord has shown me, I am then moved to pass it on. Since the list of God's mercy towards me is never-ending, may I never have a "short-list" of my mercy towards others.

    God's mercy is "good stuff"!
    Pastor Dale

    P.S. Guys: Yes, it is ok to read and post on this blog. Indeed, I encourage you to go for it and be a blessing as well as get blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go, Pastor Dale!~ I love how you set such a wonderful example for all of us!

    As for mercy - I have been prompted so much lately to respond to people I don't know with mercy. It kind of surprises me. I have always been cautious about giving to people on the streets, I have an internal rule (I know, I know Cathy!) about not giving money and instead purchasing food when the Lord prompts me. My heart hasn't heard a nudge in a long time. Just before Thanksgiving, I was leaving Costco and had the thought "Lord, what would people in other countries think about my bringing home this food when there is food in my fridge, my pantry, and my freezer? What should I think about this?" As I turned a corner, an elderly gentleman walked up and asked directions to a place downtown for shelter. I had no help for directions...He next introduced his wife and said that they had no need for my money. They did wonder if I could provide a pizza? Oh, the joy that flooded my heart! I quickly thanked the Lord, and gave them some money for food.
    As I got to my car (rejoicing) I realized I had half of an apple pie in the front seat, left from a "Pi" party Faith had at school. I quickly scampered back to the food court, where I found my new friends so happily eating pizza and hot dogs. When I offered the pie, they were speechless.
    I walked away so blessed...so glad that the Lord heard the cry of my heart and gave me an outlet for my love for Him.
    Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think of my life before His salvation and redemption...I took ofense at the cross..BUT God...Romans 5:8. That is mercy I can barely take in.

    ReplyDelete