Friday, December 17, 2010

Believers Can Be Peacemakers!

Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called sons of God.

We have arrived at an action word – a word that describes not how we are towards God, but how we are towards others.  Now this one, even unbelievers believe. It’s a blessed thing, a good thing to be a peacemaker.  I doubt that they care about God’s promised reward for those who are truly peacemakers.  But, they would agree that it’s a good thing to be.  The problem lies in the definition of peacemaking.  The world’s definition is not God’s definition.
Peace can be described as lack of friction or trials or conflict or war or strife.  Jesus, the greatest peacemaker of all, said we would have trials in this life; He didn’t tell us to help people not have trials. Jesus, who told His followers in  John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
John 16:33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace.

This Jesus told those who did not belong to him something very different:    
Luke 12:51 Do you suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell you, not at all, but rather division. Division means to divide up.  Jesus came to divide up – those who would come to Him and those who would not. 

God doesn’t use the world’s definition of peace. In fact, with God, He promises us a peace in the midst of those things.  So, the goal of a peacemaker, as Jesus would describe her is not to alleviate or avoid friction or trials or war.

The Bible uses the word peace 429 times. That tells me that peace is important to God -  that He desires peace for us.  Not only does He desire it for us, He calls us to be peacemakers.  Here’s the definition I found in my Zodhiates Bible Dictionary   The one who, having received the peace of God in his own heart, brings peace to others.  He is not simply one who makes peace between two parties, but one who spreads the good news of the peace of God which he has experienced.

That puts a criteria on who can be a peacemaker – only those who have received the peace of God.  Kind of like comforters – we are to comfort others with the comfort we have experienced from God.  Peacemakers offer the peace we have received from God.

So, Nobel peace prize winners are not peacemakers, people that avoid conflict are not peacemakers.  It’s not blessed are the peace lovers, or blessed are the peace keepers, but blessed are the peace makers.

Only those who belong to Christ can be peacemakers.  But – only those submitted to the will of Christ and the power of Christ are peacemakers. As a believer, what have you discovered about the ability God has made available to you to be a peacemaker?

6 comments:

  1. I LOVED this beatitude when we began it during Study! So many other messages seem to include this one in a special way to me.

    I have found that only with Christ, walking in the Spirit, can I be a true peace~maker. In my natural self, I can be misunderstood, my intentions and my words do not always match up. But God gives me the Spirit, in which His Word and His intentions are perfectly matched. In HIM I can share the good news, clear up misconceptions, and bring light to the dark. In HIM the Word becomes clear and lives are changed.

    Oh Lord, help me be a peacemaker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y ou will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You...the rest of Isaisah 26:3 & 4 are staple verses for me, but this first part is where the rubber meets the road in my having peace. When my mind is "stayed" on a hurt, an injustice, or on a storm of any kind it literally alters the set of my jaw. Peace depravation shows in our countenance. It cannot be hidden or masked. The converse is also true...the mind that is stayed on Him results in a countenence that , whether actually smiling or not, there is a radiance...a glowing by product of the Prince of Peace. I have learned to recognize if I am being a peacetaker or peacemaker by the look on the face of the person I am encountering at the time.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This ability to be a peacemaker is God given. Peace lives in me, my Jesus!!!
    I love that this ability to be a peacemaker brings such Glory to God, it always points back to Him!!! No way can I ever be a peacemaker left to my own resources. Thank you God that you dwell in me and are Glorified through want You enable me to do!!!
    sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. The peace Jesus gives us as believers enables us to be peacemakers, those that can share the peace we have with others. It's like Cathy said to comfort those as we have been comforted by God. What an awesome thing especially this time of year. Alot of people are hurting and struggling this Christmas season, so I pray God shows me how to be that peacemaker to those I come in contact with. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been listening to a lot of Christmas music lately and the two phrases that keep standing out to me are "Peace on Earth" and "Good will toward men". I considered how often the world uses those phrases without understanding what it truly means. So then I thought, do I really know and consider what that really means for me...? I read Ephesians 2 and it sums it up so well. My heavenly Father made the way possible to have peace with Him, the price was Jesus- God incarnate coming to earth in the flesh and hanging on a cross for my sins. His goodwill toward me was His coming and His suffering so I could be made Spirtually alive. Yes, may there be HIS peace on earth and HIS goodwill toward men this Christmas and may we celebrate that this season and pass it on. Thank you Father for the greatest gift ever given, the highest price paid, so I can know YOUR peace, the ONLY peace.

    "For He Himself is our peace..." Eph. 2:14

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am loving Cathy's insights and all these wonderful comments. I am so blessed!
    When Cathy asks what have you discovered about the ability God has made available to you to be a peacemaker? A couple things jump to mind and others have said it too, it's our countenance. We look different, we respond different, people are attracted to it without knowing why. It's God looking through us to them. I like the example Cathy gave yesterday of the person seeing the Captain's face and knowing all was alright. Why was the Captain's face at peace? Because he knew something they didn't. We do too! We are examples even as we walk through stores and go throughout our day. Of course, that's if we've done our part and spent time with God. So that it does show on our face, just like Moses.
    And secondly, it's all from God. This peace is God's peace not the worlds, so we can only get it from our Father! Then we can pass it on, often without even knowing it. Let's be ready to pass it on and look for opportunities. People are more open at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete