Sunday, December 16, 2012

The House That Stands

Having set forth the principles of discipleship, Jesus closed this sermon with a series of choices for those who would follow Him.  
The house(life) that stands has made some choices.  He/she has considered paths, trees, professions, and foundations.

Matthew 7:13-27 contains four sets of twos:
1.  2 paths (verses 13,14)
2.  2 trees ((verses 15-20)
3.  2 kinds of people (verses 21-23)
4.  2 kinds of builders (verses 24-27)

Two gates - the narrow gate and the wide gate.  One well trodden, chosen by many.  The other, narrow and difficult, found by few.  The narrow gate leads to life -  eternal life and, may we not too quickly dismiss these choices as relating only to our salvation, but also to abundant life here and now.  As Pastor Dale reminded us, "It's not only the narrow path to get in, but it's the narrow path the whole way home".

Two kinds of trees - One bears good fruit; the other just can't.  It can only bear bad fruit.  The kind of fruit born reveals the tree.  It takes time to go from a sapling, to a tree, to bearing fruit.  Take time and watch.  Watch for false teachers.  Do they shun from teaching the narrow way?

Two kinds of people - those who only say "Lord" and those the Lord calls "Mine".  Who will they stand before?  Jesus.  Who will determine their entrance into heaven?  Jesus.  What will be the basis of that entrance?  Those who do the will of the Father and those who do not.  What is the will of the Father?  John 16:29 and John 14:21 - Believe on His Son.  The fruit of that will be loving His Son by keeping His commandments.
Those whom Jesus reject will point to what they have done.  Those whom Jesus accepts will point to what He has done.

Two kinds of builders - foolish and wise - those who only hear the word and those who hear it and do it. The foolish fall when the storms of life come; the wise stand.  There is a place where houses stand, even when there's been a storm.  Those who stand have built on the Rock;  on the sure foundation of Jesus Christ.
Those who fall, even in this life, are those who take the easy way, the short cut, the cheaper materials.

What choices are you making with the storms that confront your life today?  Your choice will determine whether you fall or whether you stand.  

There was much in this message today.  What spoke to you?

8 comments:

  1. This message spoke volumes to me! I was pondering the narrow path, and asking myself "am I willing to walk on a path that others have NOT walked, following only where He leads?" So often, we look at the path that others walk down and think it is the same one we are to walk also. But my path does not look like anyone else's. My path is ordained by the One who fashioned me, and knows my weaknesses and strengths. He knows how to lead me in such a way as to cause my relationship with Him to grow.

    I was challenged to look at the path my feet have walked down, and consider: does it wander? Does it lead in circles, visiting the same places time after time? Does it lead by streams of refreshing and living water, or by paths in the desert?
    These choices I make reveal the amount of fruit I will bear, and of what kind. Whether I stand or fall when the storms hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing that really struck me was the discussion about good works. They are the same works or can be, by a saved person or unsaved. The difference is the motivation of the heart. Or who is in control of our hearts, because it's either God or self. You can do good works for selfish reasons or because God is in control & I love Him & that is what's motivating my actions. Big difference! Knowing God or Him saying I never knew you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! Our works may look like the world's, but God looks at the heart and what motivates us.

      Delete
  3. Sharon wrote:
    The part about the “Fruit” brought into remembrance a movie I watched on Netflix reciently called “The Second Chance”. My heart was moved by the motivations of each minister in the movie. One acted on what he thought his audience would see and the other out of his heart alone. Pastor Dale said we have to examine the Fruit closely. It can look and feel so good and so right but be dead on the inside. Our expectations get so in the way and we are so looking for results to come out the way we think. It just brings me back to Psalm 62 O my soul, wait silently on God alone. For my expectations are from Him. Praise God when I keep my eyes on Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I love that verse! Thanks for the reminder to keep my eyes and expectations on Him.

      Delete
  4. As the storms of my life come seemingly without so much as a pause I am reminded that with every step I make a choice. Thankfully I've choosen the narrow path. One of the benefits of the narrow way...my choices are limited and where to place my next step is often obvious. I didn't say easy or even desireable but He makes it obvious.

    In my walk with the Lord I've spent more time than I'd like to admit on the question of "bearing fruit". "Where is my fruit"? "Am I producing fruit"? and on and on...Where I rest NOW is the production of the fruit is up to my Lord. I make sure my roots are deep in Him and the leave the results up to Him.

    I can say with certainity and thanksgiving that my life is built on the Rock. At different times my stance on the Rock was grasping and holding on in fear. Fear that I may slip, may fall. Now I see myself standing, arms lifted high in worship and desiring to point to Jesus, my Savior, my Redeemer, my Protector.

    May I (we) press on in the midst of the storms pointing to our beloved Jesus. Focusing on Him NOT the storms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pastor Dale said, "Our storms reveal to us and to others what place Jesus has in our lives."
    It made me think of erosion and how rocks don't really erode, sand does. Are my storms eroding the joy of my salvation?
    It is impossible, except in Jesus'power, to be one that others are drawn to because they see the light of sure hope and feel the warmth of His love radiating from us even when the storms about us are dark and difficult...little lighthouses upon the Rock.

    ReplyDelete