Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Fighting Your Fear

Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. [9] And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. [10] Then the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. [11] For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.  Luke 2:8-11

"Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us."  Matthew 1:23

In two weeks, the date we have designated to celebrate the birth of our Lord will, again, be behind us.  The process of moving on into another year will be upon us.  Will we be any different in 2013 as far as we relate to our fears?

Fear not, for I am with you;
 Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
 I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you,
 I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.' Isaiah 41:10

God's answer to our fears is His presence.  On that holy night in that little town of Bethlehem, "the hopes and fears of all the years" were met in Him.

In what ways has the Savior's coming and the Savior's continued presence calmed your fears?
    


    

2 comments:

  1. I have been challenged more and more that we fear the wrong things. We fear the things that Jesus says, "Fear not". Yet we don't fear the very thing that terrified Jesus and that was separation from the Father.
    What an awesome God we have that says, I will not not not ever under any circumstances leave you, nor forsake you! Because He knows that's what we need most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reminded that He changes not. The same God who sent an angel to Mary and said "Do not be afraid", who appeared to shepherds in the field and announced "there is born to you this day a Savior" is the same God who met Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane in His hour of deepest need. This same God meets me, in my times of rejoicing and my times of deep anguish. He bends near, He constantly reaches out to meet me, and as I learn to look up, listen, and respond to His promptings more and more, I am changed.
    My fears decrease as my fear and awe of Him increase.

    ReplyDelete