Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What Do I Say To God When I Pray?

Matthew 6:9-13  In this manner, therefore, pray:  Our Father in heaven,  hallowed be Your name.  Your kingdom come. Your will be done  on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread.  And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.  and do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

Tomorrow the women’s Bible study starts up again.  I can’t wait.  I have so much on my heart to share about praying for His kingdom and His will.   As we continue to study this prayer, we are going to discover the components that our prayers should have – they should have a time of worship and a time of thanksgiving.  We will look at the differences between the two.  We will discover that there is a time of confession, and we will discover that our prayers are to contain a time of petitions.  There are seven petitions in this prayer – 3 petitions concerning God and 4 petitions concerning ourselves.  But, before we make petitions for ourselves, notice the focus we are to have first – Hallowed be Your name; Your kingdom come, Your will be done.  When we do that, when we put God’s glory first, our petitions will be greatly affected. They will reflect our first prayers – wanting His will in our lives. The object of true praying is not to bend the will of God to ours, but to get our will in line with His.  True praying is not overcoming God’s reluctance, but laying hold of His willingness. 

God wants us to ask Him.  In this prayer we see Jesus validating that.  Yes, God loves to be worshipped, and He loves to be thanked  But He also loves it when His children come to Him and ask Him to provide for them, to protect them, to deliver them, to take care of them – because that’s what a Father does. 

I was thinking about love languages yesterday.  Different actions speak love to us.  We each like to be loved in a particular way.  In the same way, we favor ways of being approached.  So does God.  God calls us to come to Him; to approach Him.  Hebrews 4:16 reminds us we can approach Him boldly.  In this prayer recorded in Matthew 6, Jesus reveals to us how God loves to be approached and teaches us some of the things God loves us to talk about.

May our application of this prayer bless Him and may it embolden us to approach Him more often.

This blog is the last posting – at least until the end of Women’s Bible study.  It’s been a joy sharing the Sermon on the Mount with you.  Thanks so much to all of you who posted comments.  You touched the hearts of many.
   

4 comments:

  1. I was sort of taken back when you said this would be the last blog till summer. I will miss it. It has carried me through and kept me connected. It taught me something about the up coming women’s study lessons. Sometimes I get a little mechanical and I just want to be sure I get all the blanks filled in on the lesson. But, writing on the blog pressed me to think and pray more about my answers. It made me realize that sometimes God may even pause me on “His Word” and I may not even get through all the questions. This is not a bad thing especially if you have a little bit of a hard head. So, thank you Cathy for posting and thanks to you all who shared. You have so… blessed my heart.

    As for studying the prayer that Jesus taught us, I’m so excited. I press for a more active prayer life. Ever since I was a little girl I am always reminded what my Aunt Ruth taught us. To this day my family will say it to one another. She said the most important thing we could do was, “pray, pray, pray.” See you tomorrow, Lord willing and the creeks don’t rise.” (Creeks are from Missouri where I grew up. It’s just another way of saying we want the Lord’s Will in all things.) To His Glory… sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. The day and time when Luke 22:42 became real to me is a memorial stone in my life. "Father, if it is Your will take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours be done."

    I had been praying fervently for God to take away a situation/circumstance in my life. One that was causing me great heart ache and trouble. I couldn't see any way God could make this situation okay or make me okay through it. During my prayer time God seared my forehead with Luke 22:42 and asked me, "if I could do that for you can't you do this and trust me?" My answer was, Yes and Amen!

    I know yielding to His will is far better than wanting or asking Him to bend to mine. I step forward in faith knowing He is trustworthy.

    I look forward to studying about praying for His kingdom to come and His will to be done. God stuff...Good stuff.

    I whole heartily agree with Sharon. Thank you Cathy, thank you ladies for your comments. You all spur me on to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what Cathy said "when we put God's glory first, our petitions will be greatly affected". It reminds me of what Pastor Dale said a couple Sunday's ago about guarding God's glory. That is something God is working in me and keeps reminding of. Thanks Cathy for being faithful, for reminding us, for teaching us we are so thankful and blessed.
    Thank you ladies for the comments they have added and enriched this time. I'm sorry it's coming to an end for right now as well, but looking forward to Women's study starting up again. Hope to see you all there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that God shows us what a Father does! He loves his kids unconditionally, and shows them what they can be like when they grow up. I wanna be like my Abba. He sets the goal high, then shows me the blessings intended as I strive toward that goal, then, He takes me on a journey to reach the goal.
    His kingdom come.
    His will be done.
    In me, through me, all for His glory. YES!

    I, too, lament the ending of the blog. It has been instrumental to me during this break. Cathy - Thanks for always having your little flock's interests at heart, and following the nudges. You love us so much, and we are blessed, well-fed sheep!

    ReplyDelete