Monday, January 10, 2011

God Rewards What He Sees

Jesus made a statement about our charitable deeds in Matthew 6:4.  He said something similar about prayer in Matthew 6:6. He said it again about fasting in Matthew 6:18.  That your charitable deed may be in secret and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly. Two things we can know about God here.  1.  He sees.  He sees what man does not.  He noticesOne of His names is El Roi – the God who sees. And our God who sees does something about what He sees.

#2 He rewards.
Hebrews 6:10 For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

Now, what are His rewards?  He frequently mentions rewards in His word. Yet He tells us very little about them.  I’m pretty sure they will be exceedingly abundantly above what we could ever ask or think.  We probably shoot way too low when we consider God’s rewards.  We think we want some sort of material blessings – and He does that.  Yet, when He blesses us spiritually, we discover it to be much better.  I mean, how do you describe Disneyland to a child that has never been there?  How could God describe a reward that He has designed to us who are limited by what we know in this corrupt world?

Last week, on Sunday morning, Pastor Dale taught from Genesis 14 & 15.  Abraham had been offered a great deal of material rewards.  Genesis 14:23 records his response.  Abraham refused them because he wanted no one but God to get the glory for blessing Him.  Two verses later, God appeared to Abraham and said Do not be afraid Abraham.  I am your shield, your exceedingly great rewardPonder that one.  Exceedingly Great. God didn’t say to Abraham that He would give him exceedingly great rewards.  He did give Abraham rewards.  But, here, God told Abraham that He, God Himself,  was Abraham’s exceedingly great reward.  If God Himself were the only reward you received for giving and praying and fasting for His glory, would that be enough for you?

This is our God.  He says He’s got rewards for us when we  do not seek to be known by man, but, rather,  that our God be known by man. 

And all too often, you and I trade that, for the self-feeding attention of another person.  Jesus says Take heed or you will miss out.

2 comments:

  1. My immediate response to this is "YES! God is enough for my reward!" And, rightfully so. However, I know myself. Something will come along shortly to distract me, and I may choose to follow it. I am so thankful for Philippians 2:13 which says 'for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.' I know that it pleases God when I give, and pray, and fast. I also know that I cannot do it and give Him glory without His Spirit to move me. His greatest gift to me, after salvation, is His Spirit. Thank You, Father!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like Cyndi say YES God is enough for my reward. And I will also be distracted by something maybe I will choose to follow it or not. But I know I serve a forgiving God and nothing will ever be able to take His place. Focusing on rewards here are part of life, everyone's life, from a small amount of focus to a great deal of focus it's up to each of us some much we do focus on things of this world. My prayer is to keep looking up from where my help comes from, my help is from the Lord. Amen

    ReplyDelete