Thursday, December 23, 2010

Safety or Obedience?

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.  Matthew 5:10-12


Let’s stop for a minute and define persecution. It is this.  It comes from the root word “to follow” and means to follow or go after someone to do them harm. That means to harm someone physically or harm emotionally.

We live in a country that, to this date, does not allow physical persecution of Christians.  However, more and more, we are seeing Christians verbally persecuted and shunned – at least those who would live godly.   Christians in many countries can’t avoid persecution – not if they are willing to admit they belong to Jesus.  But, here we can.  But, that’s not the challenge that Jesus would put before us today.  It’s not, “can we”, but “should we”?
 
More than 100 years after the New Testament times, a man came to Tertullian, one of the early church fathers.  The man had a great dilemma about living out his Christianity.  He thought it almost impossible when considering the very real possibility of persecution. He ended his pleadings with Tertullian by saying, “What can I do, I must live”.  Do you know what Tertullian’s response was?  It was this:  “must you?”.  Many believers would think that a strange answer.  For what he was saying was “If you die of starvation or die burning at the stake, it’s better than if you compromise”.  You and I don’t face that kind of dilemma.  I’m sure it’s going to get rougher for us, but it’s not like that today.  All we face today is the possibility of rejection and people not liking us; maybe people shunning us or saying bad things about us.  Yet, too often, we guard our favor with others like this man guarded his life.

Look at Jesus’ further description of persecution in verse 11 – people reviling against you and saying all kinds of evil against you falsely.  Words, words designed to cause harm can be persecution.  Now, before you jump on the “I’m so persecuted wagon” note the qualifying words of verses 10 and 11.  These are persecuted for righteousness sake, for Jesus’ sake.  They are persecuted for doing righteousness, or as Paul said to Timothy – living godly. 
2 Tim. 3:12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.

Will you choose to live godly or choose to be safe?  I heard a quote from Elizabeth Elliot this summer.  It was something like this:  Safety is not your concern.  Obedience is your concern.  And it is God’s responsibility to take care of the consequences of your obedience. 

If you were honest, what determines your behavior?  Safety or obedience?  Your answer will quite possibly determine whether you will be persecuted or not. 

14 comments:

  1. I can not express enough how grateful I am for this connection to my sisters and brothers in Christ. This has made my time away from home so precious, as I am able to refresh each morning with you all and then pass that along to others, here in Va., through out the day. Where two or more are gathered together... He is so with us.

    I thank God for each and every one of you and your post and comments are sure a blessing.
    ......... sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. My flesh wants safety... every time. That alone is a battle. But, obedience draws me closer to My Lord and Savior and that is where I want to be, no matter the cost. So I settle it in my heart before hand. No matter what today holds, Lord, will I follow you? That is not a one time prayer I have but a continual one, because I know my flesh... I must go to Him daily and settle it- NO MATTER WHAT, Lord, I choose to follow you (and of course, help me, Lord to be able). He is sooo worth it. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not going to respond to this morning's blog. I moved on to my daily reading and was amazed, but not really surprised, to read the following verses..
    Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ...that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel...for to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but to suffer for His sake...Phil 1:27 & 29
    Two things struck me...first, the word "granted". We are granted or given the privilege to suffer on behalf of Christ...not we will HAVE to, because we don't, but we GET to if we choose to walk in obedience.
    Secondly, we are called to stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together. The persecution should most certainly NEVER come from within aimed at a fellow believer or pastor. Like the game Red Rover...we are to stand united in Christ...by His power at work within us not allowing the world or its persecutions to break through our line and divide us.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just reflecting on what I had been reading in 1st Samuel about how Saul "followed after" David, to cause him harm. Each time David had opportunity and (in our eyes) every reason to kill his enemy, he would not- his men even encouraged him to kill him, but he would not touch God's annointed. He even honored him- and lamented over his death. Wow! I would be like- ah, relief, at last! It's hard to remember that God had annointed Saul when we read what he was up to. And it's sad that he missed out on what God had intended for him but David followed the Lord at ALL costs and did not become Saul's judge (or executioner) but let God be the judge. How important is that for us to remember that when we face persecution,so that we too can be blameless and know He will take care of us, no matter the circumstance. He was with David and He will be with us, too... Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grant us Lord boldness and a steadfast heart so that no temptation, trial or affection can wear out our Love for You . Unite our heart with Yours and increase in us a greater desire to know You, to seek You, to obey, to Love You -no matter what the cost may be.

    "The Lord is the portion of my inheritance. Teach us , good Lord, to serve thee as Thou deservest; to give and not to heed the wounds; to toil and not to seek rest; to labor and not to ask for any reward save that of knowing that we do Thy Will , O Lord our God."
    Amy Charmichael

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I choose to live in the safe zone is it truly living? Jesus said He came to give life and that those that choose to follow after him (John 10:4) would have it abundantly!!! (John 10:10) I think of Peter’s life before he was wholly committed to Jesus and how he feared what man my say or do to him. He forsook Jesus three times. Jesus knew the heart of his servant Peter! He knew Peter would (continually) follow in time. Peter recognized his sin and truly repented. Our loving Jesus forgave Peter :) Yes...Peter was saved just all who call out to Jesus for forgivness of sin are saved, but he did not stop there. Peter’s life radically changed and he was sold out to the Lord alone. Jesus told Peter to feed His sheep and he was obedient to the call that Jesus had placed on his life... no matter the cost. Peter was faithful to the Lords calling and he is eternally blessed.
    As Amy has said we are granted the privilege to suffer for the sake of Jesus!!!
    Jesus thank you again that when you call,...You lead! Thank you that you are the true Shepherd and you know each one of your sheep!!! May I hear your voice alone and follow... no matter the cost!
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are many circumstances in my life right now that could (and sometimes do) provoke fear within me. Through the power of the Holy Spirit and God's wisdom I have experienced victory in many areas. Once again this tendency to react in fear was staring me in the face this morning. As I pondered Cathy's devotion/blog I was asking Him, "Am I still seeking safety rather than obedience?" As Amy said, "I was amazed but not surprised" by His reply. He reminded me that I must continually (with out ceasing) and no matter the cost put on His attributes. Only then am I in the plus column and not in the negative. I choose to put on...obedience vs. safety...joy vs. fear...walk in the Spirit vs. the flesh. Safe in my Father's care! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is a banner comment day! I am so very blessed by the comments that have been posted each day. Thank you, girls, for taking the time to share your heart, and thereby blessing and encouraging others.
    I love you all so very much - and Jesus loves you ever so much more!
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes my flesh always wants the safe way. Obedience to my God is something I must pray for everyday. It is so wonderful when I am obedient. I feel so blessed and close to God. I love the quote from Elizabeth Elliott, it says it all. God is good and knows what's best for me all I need do is be obedient. Praise You Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading the various comments on Cathy's blog today I am struck by a couple of things. First, the fact that we do suffer persecution for the sake of Christ. Each one of us has some very difficult things that our loving God has allowed into our lives. Secondly, the scripture that Amy shared in Phil.1:27. We are to stand fast in one spirit with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel.
    So with a heart of love for all of you! I lift us up to our Father in heaven. I pray He would continue to encourage,strenghten,and unite us together in His Son Jesus!
    Being confident of this thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ. Phil 1:6
    Thank you God for you faithfulness !!!!
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Lord has been speaking to me a lot these last few days about fear and safety- and how I wrongly choose these above Him. Paul wrote in 2 Timothy, "For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day." I think this is the key to not having fear- knowing whom we have believed, and letting that belief become action.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Safety is not your concern. Obedience is your concern.
    Oh, Lord, cause me to ever desire obedience above sacrifice and to be so mindful of You that nothing else matters!

    Lord, help me to see when I am settling for safety and to think outside my little box. There is a much bigger world than my eyes and my heart are willing to see.
    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so abundantly blessed by Cathy & all the comments. That example Cathy gave by Tertullian and quote from Elizabeth Elliott and the scriptures & comments you have all added. It sure enlightens our understanding of this text. Right now, here in the U.S., we suffer a little; but they suffered much and yet held fast. They are our "great cloud of witnesses". Thank you for the prayers that some of you posted. I'm sure we all echo them, I know I do.

    Keep it up, and the Lord bless you ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The question " What determines your behavior" is probably the most relevent to me. I don't think much about persecution in our society. But I am very aware of how my actions affect my life.

    So for me, this scripture encourages me to live in a manner that would honor Jesus, regardless of the possible negative outcome.
    Such as: Integrity in business, standing up for the Truth, sharing the gospel in a hostile environment.

    It's so good to see God's desire for the blessing of his children. May he give us the strength to live our days for his glory.

    Bob P

    ReplyDelete