Monday, December 20, 2010

God's Promise to Those Who Make Peace


Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called sons of God.

What happens when we are peacemakers?  Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:9 that we will be called the sons of God.  Now, there are two aspects of that.  People will acknowledge that we are the sons of God (anyway those who have received the peace we are declaring will) and God will declare it.

Family resemblances are interesting, aren’t they?  There are two ways we resemble family members.  One, by hanging out with them, we pick up on their characteristics.  We warn our teen-agers of that often.  It can happen so easily to each of us. Often, we don’t even notice how we have picked up on someone’s thinking or behaviors and are soon acting and behaving like they do.  In the same sense, the more time we spend with the Lord, the more we expose ourselves to Him, the more we will act like Him.  Then there is that genetic resemblance - in physical appearance, but in behaviors too.  We’ve all seen it in our children and in our grandchildren – characteristics that are so much like us, simply because we are born into the same family.

Well, Jesus told Nicodemus that he must be born again, by the Spirit.  When that happens the Holy Spirit comes to dwell inside us and begins that refining process in us to make us more like Jesus.  We begin to behave differently, respond differently, and care differently.  And you know that it’s not something you have caused. It has been caused by the work and power of the Holy Spirit.  You have begun to resemble your Father in heaven.  And people, especially people that knew you before, know you are related to someone you weren’t related to before. Somehow you are related to God.

John 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:

What did the Father call Jesus?  We see it twice in the gospels.
Matthew 3:17 And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."
Mark 9:7 And a cloud came and overshadowed them; and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is My beloved Son. Hear Him!"
What did Jesus call God, the Father?  Father.

Now, what does God call us?  Here’s a few references:
2 Cor. 6:18  "I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the Lord Almighty."
Galatians 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
Don’t miss this – God calls you the same thing that He called Jesus – son (or daughter).  He chooses to claim you and me!
Galatians 4:6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, "Abba, Father!"

And - we get to call God, Father.  And not only that – Abba, Father – Daddy!

Now, all believers get that title whether we live as peacemakers or not.  But, does that fact cause you to kick back and settle for that?  Or does it spur you on to bring the peace that God has brought to you into the lives of others?  You see, for me, yes I love thinking that God freely declares, this is My beloved daughter.  But, I want to hear the rest of that sentence too – the part that says, in whom I am well pleased – don’t you?

5 comments:

  1. I thank God through the Holy Spirits leading, He makes it possible to share His Glorious Message of Peace. More often than not, to be able to share, I have to open my self up. It is my personal story that renders me useful to the Holy Spirit. When Isaiah 52:7 says bring the Good News announcing Peace, I have to ask myself, "What does that look like in my day and time?" I don't think it is my standing on the street shouting about the Lord. More likely I am sharing my personal experience. He often uses a trial or bending of my flesh to reveal His Peace. Being open enough to share that with someone brings me to a place of announcing Peace and sharing the Gospel message... sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a daughter of The King comes with awesome privileges! But with it also comes an awesome responsibility to actively pursue those things that bring honor to my King...otherwise I am a spoiled child indeed, arrogant in my position. I like how Spider Man's uncle put it, "With great power comes great responsibility". Being God's daughter gives me access to great power through His Holy Spirit, I believe He is well pleased when I take responsibility to choose to walk in His power.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's daughter, how great that is. I too want to hear the rest,'well done good and faithful servant.' I have really enjoyed studying this verse. It has opened my eyes to what being a peacemaker in the eyes of God is. To share the peace that only He can give!!!! Praise Him, Praise Him for this awesome privelge. Oh what He saved me from. I pray I have many opportunities to share this glorious gift and walk in His power as Amy stated. Thank You Abba, Father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thankful for the priviledge of calling the King of Kings and Lord of Lords my Father- Daddy, so personal. Some days I think I am satisfied with that alone. But thankfully, He is not, He wants us to love others as He does and share what we have been given. You know that you have God's love abiding in you when you have a desire for others, especially the ones who persecute you, to be able to call God "Father", too. And you find your 'self' removed and just thinking of their greatest need above your own well-being. That is the work of the Holy Spirit giving us the character of God. Proof that we belong to Him. I want to be more and more like Him and to declare the peace that is available through Christ our Savior. Please Lord keep working on me, you know my weeknesses. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a glorious wonder that as I surrender more and more of my life, my control, He makes me a peacemaker. He sets before me His standard not that which the world sees as peacemaker. The more access I give Him the more profound the realization that I am completely and with my whole heart His. I am His daughter and He is my Father and nothing, no one can ever change that. But just as Cathy said I'm not content to be his daughter...I want Him to see me being about His business, His will and hear "well done".
    Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! 1 John 3:1

    ReplyDelete