Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Avoiding Persecution By Avoiding Conflict

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.  Matthew 5:10-12   

This beatitude confirms that peacemakers are not people that believe in a peace that keeps people happy. This beatitude appropriately follows that of peacemaking, because it is often the result of godly peacemaking – and that is persecution. That’s what Jesus experienced; that’s what the disciple’s experienced.  The result of being a godly peacemaker is not the Nobel Prize. It is not the ability to keep people from being angry at you. The result is often persecution. So, the person who lives these beatitudes will be one that behaves in a way that may provoke persecution. 2 Timothy. 3:12 teaches us: Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.

What do we do with verses like Jesus taught here in these last verses of the beatitudes?  What do we do with statements like what Paul wrote to Timothy?  Do we dismiss them as only relating to the early Christians or to those in countries that are intolerant of the gospel?  Or are these words for us today – we who live in the 21st century in the nation that claims to be under God?

Now, look at 2 Timothy 3:12 again.  What is it that provokes persecution?  Living godly.  I thought of two things that seem to rile up people to persecute God’s peacemakers. John 3:19-20  And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. [20] For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.

#1.  They love darkness and hate the light
And #2.  There are so many examples of this, I’ll just give you one.
1 Kings 22:8 So the king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat, "There is still one man, Micaiah the son of Imlah, by whom we may inquire of the Lord; but I hate him, because he does not prophesy good concerning me, but evil."…

Over and over and over again the prophets were persecuted because their message was not what people wanted to hear.  Remember the prophets (they called themselves that, but they were false prophets) – but they were the ones the people liked – why?  Because they told the people what they wanted to hear.
There’s a key to avoid persecution. These false prophets were looked upon by the people as prophets of God, just like the real ones.  But, the false prophets weren’t persecuted.  Why?  Simply this:  they avoided conflict by telling the people what they wanted to hear.
These men were appeasers, not peacemakers.  

6 comments:

  1. Especially at this time of year, I don't want to be an appeaser. I long to be a Peacemaker. I want to share the Truth in love, so that the Birth we celebrate may also be a birthday for a new believer. The Lord has opened a door for me to witness to someone who is an avowed atheist. Someone who wants to debate instead of believe. It isn't logic that will win this battle, it is Truth that pierces the heart. Love is what came down at Christmas time - it is Love found in the Word that will win a soul to Christ.

    Lord, let your Word be alive in me, and let my words be Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cathy for doing this blog. It has been a blessing not just for me but for my family. Thank you for teaching us about God's Word and explaining it to us in a way that even a child can understand.

    As I read this morning's post, I learned that if I desire to live a godly life I should expect persecution. I cannot live godly by my own strength, but only through Jesus that can be possible. My desire and prayer is to be light to those who don't know Jesus personally and share the Truth in love. The Lord has been using me to be compassion and share in love God's Word with a friend who is going through some personal problems. This was encouraging to only look at Christ to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cahty you are right many people think persecution is only for the countries where the scripture is FROWNED above. But yes here we are persecuted as we strive to live godly lives. People make fun and jike about us. This at times can be very disheartening, but isn't it exactly what Jesus taught would happen? Oh to be persecuted for living a godly life, what a joy. My prayer is a willing vessel to be used as God sees fit, persecution or not. Ours is the kingdom of heaven by living godly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy,
    I had a situation this morning with a family member who made a comment about my gifts from the postal service. This family member is not a believer and made me feel very hurt and uncomfortable with the situation. I did address it in a nice way and she responded with something referring to me as "settling" with things, and it doesn't have to be this way. I did not respond back..and instead of getting really upset with her, I just let it go. I know that my life has not been easy, but it is all part of God's plan..she does not know HIM, so in turn cannot relate with me and my choices. I hold no bad feelings for this family member and in turn turned to God in prayer..He told me to "let it go" and hold no bad feelings and my calmness over the situation is so different than I would have handled it in the past. More than anything, I feel sorry for her because she doesn't have God's peace as I do. I hope I didn't go off on a personal tangent here, but felt it necessary to share on the peacemaker's blog..thank you Jesus!!
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Psalm 5:11
    But let all those rejoice who put their trust in You; Let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them; Let those also who love Your name Be joyful in You.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy...Thank you for creating this blog and for posting your meditations on the beatitudes. They are an encouragement to me and I look forward to reading them every day.

    Glory to God that he uses his people to deliver encouragement. He is using you through your easy to understand yet entirely biblical writings to build up his church.

    Keep up the good work
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete