Monday, January 7, 2013

The Compassion of Jesus

Consider the list Pastor Dale provided for us from Matthew 8 and 9:

The Sheep  Whom the Shepherd Touched

the outcast
the leper
8:1-4
the outsider
the centurion's servant
8:5-13
the looked down upon
Peter's mother-in-law
8:14-15
the fearful
the disciples in the storm
8:23-27
the captives
the two demoniacs
8:28-34
the weak
the paralytic
9:1-8
the powerless
the ruler whose daughter died
9:18-25
the hopeless
woman w/issue of blood
9:20-22
the blind
two blind men
9:27-31
the feeling defeated
man who was mute & possessed
9:32-34

As I thought about this list, I was impacted with the fact this list covers all aspects of need - the spiritual, the emotional and the physical.  Jesus was touched by all of them.  As believers, so should we be touched.  But, I find that we are often moved according to our spiritual giftings.  I am more moved by the emotionally hurting than those who are physically hurting.  I am moved by both, but I find myself moved to action more for those who are emotionally hurting, as my gift is that of counseling.   As 1 Corinthians 12 teaches us, the Spirit gives different gifts to each of us as He wills.  Jesus, being God in the flesh, functioned in all of the gifts.  Therefore, He was able to not only be moved with compassion, but respond in healing each one.  We (as individuals) cannot do that.  BUT - via the sending of the Holy Spirit, each gift has been given to members of the body of Christ.  We, as individuals, have each been equipped in some way to carry out, to continue His work.

1 John 3:17 specifically speaks of meeting a financial need in someone's life:   But whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him? 

How much more is this a challenge to us (every believer) to use the "spiritual gifts/goods" we've been given to meet the need of someone when we see (are aware) of the need?  

That's His plan.  We are now His hands.  May we be faithful to stretch them out as He did to touch those whom He has called us and enabled us to touch - FOR HIS GLORY.
    

4 comments:

  1. When we see a need, we analyze several things. Am I able to meet this need? Am I supposed to? Some other questions may be: What will they do with it? Are they worthy in some way of receiving?
    Recently, I've been challenged that it's not my place to judge if the person is worthy. That would be God's department, not mine. After all, I'm not worthy of all God has given me. In my limited sphere of influence this usually has to do with the homeless I see. This new thinking has freed me up to be even more led by God and to give joyfully, knowing they may use anything i give them for some things other than real needs. But it also shows that God loves them exactly where they are, even in their present condition. He died to make a way for us to Him. So, I can be 'took' in the world's way of thinking to shine forth the love and acceptance of my Lord, my God, my Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me this message dove-tailed with last week's. Last week Dale said, "Disciples get to see and experience things that others don't." I believe it's in being attentive to the Holy Spirit and responding to His promptings to minister to others that we get to see and experience many of those things that other's don't. What a privileges we get as His disciples, as "His hands"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I looked down the list of who Jesus touched, I see myself in each one, at different times in my life. I see the miracles Jesus did in my life over and over again. And, all praise and glory to Him for that. God is good and has all the power. He brings every trial in my own life a place of opportunity, if I am willing. But, oh how my heart aches for others. I want, for them, the same thing that I have found. I just feel like there is no way for me to get through to them, how all they really need is Jesus. It is the waiting that is so hard. But, it’s not just waiting, but “waiting well.” You “wait well” if you don’t loose your worship and joy. I am learning that I need to quickly turn to that place of worship or satan will steal my joy. Only lately did I realize that one of my places of worship is painting. I don’t know how many times others have told me that my painting is a gift but until God spoke it into my heart I didn’t get it. I didn’t get that it is a place of worship. Now that is ironic, isn’t it? I am not so different then the others that I so desperately wait for. So, until God speaks it into their heart, I have to “wait well” and pray. I don’t stick pray at the end lightly. Our Powerful God works in prayer…. So pray church…. pray! Worship church worship..... Hallelujah!!!
    sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard a message that fit right into this one yesterday, and really leans into Cheryl's as well. I was challenged to see everyone as Jesus does: through the eyes of the Cross. Do I see them as worthy of the price Jesus paid? If so, then using my gifts as led by the Holy Spirit is easy! I just love on them the way Jesus did. It's when I see them through eyes of the flesh that I may not feel so available to reach out and touch them. It's remembering I was the leper: an outcast and unworthy to be in His presence, that my perspective is rightly changed. I am saved by His grace. By His grace I have been given gifts. By His grace, I can use them to love on and "heal" others.

    ReplyDelete