Friday, January 4, 2013

Attacking Your Anger

In considering the tools available to us for attacking anger, I feel pressed to "put you in remembrance" of one of my favorite tools - drawing your anger line - the line you are determined not to cross regardless of who or what provokes you.

We all have drawn a line - that which we feel is justifiable when we are pushed enough.  For some, but few, it is murder.  When provoked enough, some people feel that murder is justified.  For some it is physical harm; some verbal abuse or yelling, some retribution, some the silent treatment.  What is yours?  Where have you drawn the line?

Here's God's line:

Ephesians. 4:29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. 

 Matthew 5:44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 

If your anger line crosses the lines set by our Lord, then you are "out of line".  Choose His ways.  They will never disappoint.  Loving others when they seemingly don't deserve it reveals strength, not weakness. We can only love like that with God's strength.  

As a believer, you have committed your life to Him.  Commit your line to Him too.
   



2 comments:

  1. I go back to Galations 5 and consider the works of the flesh v. the fruit of the Spirit. This was a huge break thru for me when we studied it and really, my life verses. I remember Cathy said (something like) you may feel justified in how you are reacting but look at what God calls it- works of the flesh. That challenged me (and still does). I want the fruit of the Spirit to abound, not anger and rage and making everyone pay because I am bent out of shape. My weakness (as moms, I am sure this is a common one) was/is the outburst of wrath. My tongue is the line. I must stop, consider what I am about to say- take those thoughts (and feelings) captive before the Lord). When I do, it is amazing how God softens my heart (and my mouth) in the situation but oh, how destructive and shameful when I cross that line!

    "But the fruit of the Sprit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such, there is no law." Gal. 5:22-23

    sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing sometimes, to discover how often we have drawn a line just to see the enemy of our souls tempt us, and even push us to cross that line. I find myself so thankful that I haven't given in to one temptation just to find I have given in to another. Especially the one of anger - yelling comes so naturally. To be able to make that statement "it comes naturally" should be the first warning that I am not operating in the Spirit, as Sally so sweetly reminded me, but in the flesh. I, too, must guard my tongue. Even better, to submit my heart to the Spirit to keep in check. He will help me to do as I am reminded in Psalms 15:1 : A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

    ReplyDelete