Thursday, January 24, 2013

1 Thessalonians Intro

"May we live as if Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is returning tomorrow".

Living as if Christ died yesterday should cause us to be ever aware of Jesus' love for us that He would give everything to pay for that which we could not pay. Gratitude

Living as if Christ arose this morning should cause us to know His mercies are new every morning and that all the rough stuff is settled and taken care of.  Rejoicing

Living as if Christ is coming tomorrow should cause our perspective of the things of today to be as it should be -
light touch on the earthly, great reaching forth toward the heavenly.  Hope

Gratitude, Rejoicing, and Hope  

Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will rest in hope. Psalm 16:9

This verse begins with the term of conclusion "therefore".  Check out the psalm and join David in his rejoicing and hope.

3 comments:

  1. I was really touched by Paul's utter joy in hearing how the believers in Thessalonica were walking in faith amidst much persecution. I was exhorted to live more "out loud" in joy, especially in trials, so that the world may see my love (enlarged heart) and want to have the same thing. Until He comes again...may we keep shining our lights in a dark world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night Cathy said, "We have to stop trying to figure God out and just believe what He says about Himself and who we are to Him". She told us that it really all begins there.
    I bear witness to that. If I don't believe these things then how will I believe His promise to come again for me or the many others that fuel our hope and endurance in this life?
    I started Lesson 1 of the HW this morning and in it we look at the background of Paul and others. I was struck by the simplest thing...On the Damascus Rd Paul asked two questions, "Who are You, Lord?" and when Jesus answered him, Paul's response was "What do You want me to do?"
    His response to Jesus clearly shows he believed what Jesus said about Himself and that was enough to utterly alter the course of Paul's life. It truly did all begin there for Paul. How very encouraging and challenging! What will the Lord do with us and through us for His glory if we will but believe Him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psalm 16: 8.
    I have set the Lord always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.

    Since Jesus set His Heavenly Father always before Him, now we who believe can set Jesus ever before us. Because Jesus is at our right hand, we shall not be moved. He sets our pace.

    Psalm 16:11
    You will show me the path of life; 
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
 At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

    As we follow, we can be continually kept in Him now. We also have a sure hope for our heavenly home. How I love the fullness of joy we can have in our Lord!!!

    Love in Jesus,
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete