Sunday, December 2, 2012

Seek First


This morning Pastor Dale talked about trusting God, specifically for our finances.   Storing our treasures in heaven is an indication that we trust Him to provide for us today and to keep His promises to us.  Many of God's promises are conditional.  He has made promises to us that are dependent on us doing our part.

Here's just a few:

Verse
Our Part
God's Part
Matt. 6:33
Seek first the things of God's kingdom
Provide for what we need in this temporal kingdom
Mal. 3:10-11
Bring tithes to the storehouse
Pour out  blessings & rebuke the devour
Isa. 26:3
Keep our mind on God &  trust Him
He will keep us in perfect peace
Matt. 11:28
Come to God
He will give you rest
James 4:7
Submit to God; Resist the Devil
The devil will flee from you
James 4:8
Draw near to God
He will draw near to you
James 4:10
Humble yourself in God's sight
He will lift you up
John 3:16
Believe in Jesus
He will give you eternal life

What a challenge to us to not be "selective" believers of God's Word.  He is the keeper of all of His promises.  How we miss out when we believe Him for the things of the next life, and ignore His promises to us to equip us and enable us in this life.


No one is able to serve two masters… No one is able to serve God and possessions.  Matthew 6:24 NET
Jesus is challenging us to stop trying to do the impossible.

3 comments:

  1. I love this chart Cathy. Thanks. God is always faithful to His promises. This morning as I was listening to the sermon I was reminded of how faithful God is in this promise of our tithes and offerings, from Malachi 3. I have seen it in our finances. When the paycheck comes in and there's not enough to pay the bills, and we write the tithe check first, some how there's enough. I know it sounds crazy. I'm a bookkeeper, my check-book is balanced to the penny. Believe me this doesn't make sense, but I've seen it over and over. God's accounting is blessing, abundance, overflowing. He's an amazing God that keeps His promises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I testify to the freedom that is found in not considering anything that we have as our own, but rather God's and therefor His to use as He wills...Because we are stewards and not owners of the resources God has provided, I believe we are to spend conservatively - especially on ourselves- and give liberally. I cannot think of even a single time when Ponzio or I have been disappointed after obeying God to give in some way beyond the tithe, but we could fill pages with testimony of His provision in response to our obedience...some are nothing short of miraculous! This is certainly not a testimony of our goodness, but rather of God's goodness and the absolute truth of His Word to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was encouraged to remember to be a good steward of EVERY gift the Lord has given me - not just my time, or my tithing. He has gifted us in so many ways...Am I using them for His glory, or my gain? Tithing is an expression of my love and obedience, these must come first. If I want to truly bless God, I must obey Him.

    ReplyDelete