Thursday, December 6, 2012

Disarming Discouragement

"How's the world treating you?".  It was a question asked of me yesterday, with no more of an expectation of a real answer than the general greeting we offer "How are you?".  My answer was no more reflective than the answer we typically give to the latter question - "fine".  But, it got me thinking.  I don't ask myself that question.  My answer would often doom me to discouragement.  My hope is not in this world.

As we close another year, we can be prone to evaluating our lives.  That's a good thing - as long as our evaluations are based on the spiritual.  But, may we not evaluate how the world has treated us this year.  The world disappoints.  It was intended (after the fall) to disappoint.

But, God intends for us to have hope.  
Consider Romans 5:3-5: And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; [4] and perseverance, character; and character, hope. [5] Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. 

What have the tribulations of this year produced in you?  God intends for them to produce perseverance, character and hope - a hope that does not disappoint.  Disappointed?  Discouraged?  Examine in who or in what you have placed your hope.  A hope placed in the Lord will not disappoint.  Why?  Look at the last part of verse 5...because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.  As believers, we have a source of hope, a tool, to combat discouragement that unbelievers do not have.     

Discouragement can be like a bomb set before us.  It can't be ignored.  It must be disarmed.

The precipitators of discouragement will be always be a part of our lives.  So, I ask not, "What do you do to prevent them in your life?", but I ask, what do you do when they come?  


2 Thessalonians 2:16,17 
    Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work.

    


3 comments:

  1. "Discouragement can't be ignored, it must be disarmed" - what a wonderful statement of truth! It's funny how often we can ignore the signs of discouragement, which then lead to depression and hopelessness. A friend reminded me last night: the Lord is the lifter of my head. When I become discouraged, it is important not to let it run it's course, but recognize the lie or lies I am believing and replace it with the Truth. How important it is to be in the Word, to be quick to recognize those lies, and have a Word to replace it with!

    Prov 25:11 says: A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold In settings of silver.

    How thankful I am for those sweet words of comfort and hope spoken last night!

    Let the Lord lift up your head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Sharon said:

    For sometime I worried about what others thought. It plagued me with discouragement, which led to guilt and held me from being and doing all that the Lord has for me to do. During this year I used Bible verses claiming God as my defense. (like Ps. 7:10) to pull out. I also continued to remember what my Mom would say when she was brought to a place where defending herself ran out…. “God, knows my heart, that is what matters.” What else do we need... God knows the truth. What does it matter what man thinks." I see now that the discouragement that befalls me is to bring me to Him.

    Satan does not let it go when we seem to have one area covered with the Word. He attacks in another way. Right now I could easily become discourage over other peoples lives and how badly I want them to live in the victory of Kingdom living. Praise God He is pouring out in my heart the Holy Spirit what He gave to me. I can grab hold of the Word and I can stand on it and believe He will move in these lives of my concern and deliver in His Way and His Time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two of the most intimate and overwhelmingly sweet times I have EVER experienced with the Lord have come through disappointments. They were both times when the disappointment hit I went immediately to my room and cried out to the Lord...didn't speak to another person or take time to analyze within my own head, but poured out my heart before Him (Psalm 62:8). His response was indescribably intimate. I will never be the same.
    CHRIST ALONE can transform our tears of disappointment to songs of praise!

    ReplyDelete