Friday, December 31, 2010

Jesus Came To Fulfill The Law

Before Jesus continues His sermon, He clarifies that what He is teaching and what He is about to teach is in absolute harmony with the teachings of the Old Testament Scriptures.  There is nothing in His teaching which in any way contradicts them.  He is letting them know that He is in complete disharmony with the teaching of the Pharisees and scribes.

So, He clearly told them “no, I did not come to destroy the law and the prophets” – but, rather He came to fulfill. Our verse today, Matthew 5:18, Jesus stated – For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one title will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.  He’s dotting all the i’s and crossing all the t’s in the law.  He’s changing nothing.

Jesus wasn’t changing the law. They had changed it.  They changed it by trying to clarify it and define what it meant. 
Now the law is simply the righteous standards of God.  God is holy and cannot handle sin – even the least of them.  Unfortunately, we can’t relate to that. Sin doesn’t bother us nearly enough.  Because He is holy, any sin separates us from Him.  It is much like  someone who was allergic to perfume needig to separate themselves from someone wearing it.  

Jesus came to fulfill the law and the prophets.   How did He do that? 
1.  He kept the law perfectly, without committing one sin
2.  He fulfilled all of the Old Testament prophesies about Him
3.  He fulfilled the  ceremonial law.  He was the substance of the Old Testament shadows in the ceremonial law.  The priesthood, the sacrifices, the feasts – all pointed to Him and the finished work on the cross.  Much of the book of Hebrews is dedicated to proving that fact.
4.  He paid the penalty prescribed by the law of God. 
And 5.  He gave His followers the power to obey the law – through the power of His Spirit.

2 Corithians 1:20 For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us.
Look at that list – do you know anyone who in all of history could make that claim and keep it?

Praise Him that He can; praise Him that He did. Praise God that the blood of Jesus Christ is the antidote to wash away the stench of our sins in God's sight.

4 comments:

  1. You write "Sin doesn't bother us nearly enough", and I think to myself..."Well, the big ones do". My mind is like a Pharisee and is always looking for a "better" way to, as you say, "clarify and define" what it means to sin. Of course that is missing the mark.

    Anything that takes me off the path of walking in the Spirit is sin. Lately the words "A day in the Lord is a good day" have been in my thoughts. I repeat those words many times throughout the day. As I do I'm reminded that even the small sins, like an angry word or a lazy thought, take me off the path, and make for a "bad" day. In my heart I yearn for nothing but good days. Praise God that His mercies are new every morning...and every noon...and every night. With the Lord I never have to wait until morning to get back on His path.

    A day in the Lord is a good day.

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to what Geoff said "A day in the LORD is a good day"!!! A much better measure than my "to do" list getting all checked off, to be sure.
    Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, to God our Savior, Who alone is wise, be glory and majesty, Dominion and power, both now and forever. Amen.
    I am so thankful that He has accomplished this for me and how precious that it is with "exceeding joy" that He does it.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You, Jesus, for doing what I could not. I cannot fulfill the Law on my own strength, plan, or even wishful thinking. But in YOU, I am able to obey joyfully and rejoice in the grace given me.

    ReplyDelete