Sunday, April 28, 2013

What Do You Think About the Christ?


Our message opened this morning with a question from Pastor Dale: “Is the Lord big enough to handle your problems?”  We were reminded that from time to time we have problems that we just don’t understand. We learned that how we react to those questions in the midst of trials reveal what we believe about Jesus. In Matthew 22 we have examples of 3 questions posed to Jesus. The first questioners wanted to entangle Him, to prove His words false or their question too wise for Jesus. The second group had hearts that were already hardened and their conclusions firmly fixed. There was no room for another perspective. The last inquirer came with schooled wisdom, causing him to ask without any sincerity. His question seemed to be a waste of his breath.

And yet, Jesus uses the replies to these questions to cause us to stop and consider: where do we go when these questions of life plague us? Do we seek the One who is the source of all wisdom?  Whom will we trust as the plans of our lives unfold? Do our conclusions prevent us from seeing God in all His glory and power?

The answer all comes back to the same thing: Who is the Christ to me? Will I trust Him outside my own box of experience in faith and belief?  Will I choose to trust Him, or harden my heart and trust my own wisdom?


Psalm 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.

A big thank you to Cyndi Rhoads for her reflections!

2 comments:

  1. It's about faith, trust, belief. Praise God there is no problem too big for God. We don't need answers so much as we need more of Jesus! May we be Astonished and in Awe of Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came out of church and said to Pastor Dale. “Way to preach Preacher, you were preaching to me.” That is because last week I had done some things. I considered silly and frustrating. So, one morning when I was praying I ask God, “why did you make me this way?” Tenderly he turned me around. First he took me to – He is the potter I am the clay. Then showed me that when I consider his work silly that it is me lacking wisdom and understanding. He made me perfect (even with all my faults and baggage). He wants me to live out my life in that truth. He wants to use everything good and bad and redeem it to His Glory. I should never be ashamed of how he made me. What’s more I am so grateful that I have a Father God that allows me to come to Him with questions and He puts them to use to teach me and to proclaim Him as Glorious God.
    sharon

    ReplyDelete