Monday, April 8, 2013

The Unforgiving Servant


Matthew 18:26  The servant therefore fell down before him, saying, 'Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.'

Matthew 18:29 So his fellow servant fell down at his feet and begged him, saying, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.' 


We know the parable.  We know we are commanded to forgive.  Yet, for far too many Christians, forgiveness is an option based on our feelings, the perception of our rights, or the repentance of the one who has violated us.  

Here, in this parable, the servant who owed far more than he could ever repay begged for patience from his master and made a promise he couldn't keep - to repay his debt - all of it.

Verse 27 tells us that the master of the servant responded to his servant's plea for patience.  He was moved with compassion, released him and forgave him the debt.

We read these words in verse 29 reflecting the servant's response to his fellow servant's plea - And he would not.

Is your heart so hardened to God's pleas to you to forgive a debt?  That person owes you.  That's what a debt is.  Yet, God calls you to "let it go", to forgive the debt.  

The plea of the fellow servant should have triggered in the servant a reminder that, only recently, he had used the very same words and he had received mercy.  What was said in the sermon Sunday that should have been triggers to you?  Did you ignore them?  Or did you respond passing on just a piece of the forgiveness God has extended toward you?

Watch God's triggers.  He intends for them to touch us in a way that we respond to Him.

3 comments:

  1. this Sunday's message is challenge,if I look at the word patience then I have to say I have very little. but if I look at the patience as meaning mercy, now I can see that Love the Lord has for me and others. If come to Christ asking for patience,and not mercy then I am asking for very little. I mercy from the Lord in order for me to response with mercy to others,He has for me.

    Rudy

    ReplyDelete
  2. vs 2 8 "he laid hands on him (his fellow servant)and took him by the throat..." this reminds me of Paul's warning in Ephesians "Be angry and do not sin. Do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil."
    Something is GIVEN one way or another. Through forGIVENess we are given freedom from the power of that hurt.
    When we hold onto our wrath (unforgiveness) we GIVE the devil a place - a stronghold to keep us in bondage not only to that hurt but the multitude of sins that feed off of unforgiveness.
    It is no wonder that God in His mercy and love exhorts us to forgive and no longer "pay for yesterday with today" as Dale said in his message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Who do you have by the throat?”

    “They owe me!”

    Both the question and the statement produced a vivid picture in my mind’s eye of where and with whom I am laboring with unforgiveness. God in His mercy and love desires that my hands move from the neck of one who has harmed me to hands of prayer and worship; freely lifted to Him. As I thought about this “picture” He also brought to mind the scripture from Luke 7:47”…but whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.” My Jesus has forgiven ALL my sin, hasn’t held one back with the claim this ONE I will hold over your head until you have paid. He asks me to do the same.

    May my hands be freely lifted in praise with only one thought…”How much I owe YOU my Lord and Savior. May my payment (though none is required) be an offering of praise and thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete