Saturday, November 27, 2010

Blessed are the Poor in Spirit



The Sermon on the Mount begins with the words: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God (Matthew 5:2).  Jesus was not speaking about financial poverty; He was speaking of being poor in spirit. As we study these beatitudes, you will notice there is a progression.  It is crucial to note that Jesus began with poor in spirit. We can’t have the kingdom of God and we can’t be or do any of the following beatitudes if we are not first, poor in spirit.  We cannot experience the kingdom of God unless we are first poor in spirit.  There are two Greek words translated as “poor” in the New Testament – one describes a person that has been reduced to begging; the other describes a person whose poverty demands that they work diligently every day to survive; someone who doesn’t have a stockpile or a savings account – if they don’t work, they won’t eat.   Which poor is used by Jesus in this Sermon?  The first one – the one that describes the beggar.  The one that sees herself as having no means of survival or fulfillment has got to come from an outside source. 


Consider these two statements: “Isn’t “Christianity a crutch for people who can’t make it on their own?” and “God helps those who help themselves”.  Now, neither of these is written in the Bible.  But, the truth of one is in this first beatitude.  Which one is it?

Christianity is a crutch for people who can’t make it on their own.  Doesn’t that just grind against our flesh?  Against our pride?  How contrary can one get?  It’s so offensive to our self-sufficiency to label Christianity as a crutch. But Jesus said Mark 2:17  … "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance."

What is Jesus saying when He says “Blessed are the poor in spirit?”.  He is saying happy are the destitute; happy are the beggarly, happy are the hopelessly dependent; happy are the people who know they have nothing in themselves to gain God’s blessings.

Happy are the people who realize I can’t get it right, do it right, understand it right, know what’s right without God showing me and empowering me.  But – but, then I can.

In this first beatitude, we can see the “ledger” that I wrote about yesterday – poor in spirit on one side and the kingdom of heaven on the other.  It is only when we recognize the left side, that we can enjoy the benefits of the right side. 

It is my desire to have a daily post ready for you to read each morning.  Today’s is late.  It is also my desire that we would interact by using the comment section of this blog.  So, I encourage you to post your thoughts.  So, for starters, what are your thoughts when you consider your personal ledger and what God has done for you?

Love in Jesus,
cathy

1 comment:

  1. I was listening to a speaker on the radio yesterday talking about Jesus breaking the bread and feeding well over five thousand people. What caught my ear was how the speaker talked about the verb tenses of the word “breaking”. He said that Jesus prayed and then broke the bread. The first verb tense used for the breaking was, “immediately”. He immediately broke the bread and then the next verb was a different tense. It meant he kept breaking the bread and feeding the people. I feel like Jesus is teaching me in the same way. He breaks me then he feeds me, over and over. These lessons on “The Sermon on the Mount” are not easy to hear and I continue to feel broken. I am a hard case (a beggar with nothing of my own to offer.) but I just keep praising Him because He would not be working me like this if I were not His child. I am thankful that I have a God that would speak so directly to me through His Word. There are many things I posted on my ledger, a few of which are…

    First of all, He loved me so much he sent His only Son to die for me so I might live. He put the guarantee of the Holy Spirit in my heart to comfort and teach me. He forgave and has a relationship of Love with me. He gives me power over sin. He increases my faith and through His own Blood He makes me righteous to stand before Him. Praise the Lord.

    ReplyDelete